BootsnAll Travel Network



Bangkok day one

Having ended my seamless transition from sedentary life to one on the road in best possible form, I set out into Bangkok today ready to shred all my preconceived notions about this steamy Asian metropolis. The story I heard about it being hot checks out, but who cares, it’s south Asia? It’s hot! Something I didn’t expect is the scale and architecture of the urban landscape. I’m not really a fan of malls, but I went to the coolest mall I’ve seen in the heart of central Bangkok. They’ve managed to combine the vertical maze of Japanese department stores with the sprawling expanse of the American shopping mall. The result: An airy column of shopping bliss that tempted me to spend…so I left. Let’s get to that other rumor about Thailand. You know what I’m talking about folks. Here’s the part the mom’s stop reading. Just kidding Mom! No, but, I didn’t get propositioned in any way for exactly 18 hours. Of course I haven’t been in the local haunts, per se. But the way some people were talking, I was gonna have girls approaching me at the airport. 18 hours? I’ll never trust another NAVY guy again.I stopped and ate 6 times today. It’s hard to pass up a hot bowl or plate of something steaming before your eyes, usually for between 50-75cents. Bangkok is delicious.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *