BootsnAll Travel Network



Welcome to Bangkok

Hello all ~
Before I left, I read the books, I read the blogs … but nothing could prepare me for the noise, the pollution, and the heat of Bangkok. As soon as I arrived at the airport, all my senses were on overload. When I arrived at my hotel at 1 am Wednesday, the air temp was 35 degrees C (95 degrees F) – what?! Fortunately, my room is consistently 24 degrees C. Delightful!

Wednesday is my personal “orientation” day. Following a refreshing morning swim and a sumptuous breakfast buffet, I ventured off to the nearest SkyTrain station to purchase an unlimited ride pass. Bangkok has quite an impressive public transportation system – the pass allows me to ride the SkyTrain, subway, and bus, hop-on-hop-off, from end to end of the city. I did get hopelessly lost a few times, but everyone has been very friendly and helpful with directions.

bangkok.jpg Today (Thursday) has been dedicated to sightseeing. I found the easiest way to get to many of the most popular attractions is to take a boat that stops at the many piers, debark and walk around, and then get back on to motor to the next pier.

My first stop was China Town – colorful, exotic, smelly, and very crowded.
The second stop was Wat Pho and Wat Arun. Wat Pho is the largest temple in Thailand and home to the huge reclining buddha, 46 meters in length and covered in gold leaf. Wat Arun is one of the most beautiful temples. The spire is on of Bangkok’s landmarks – 70 meters high and covered with colored glass and porcelain in intricate patterns. Absolutely stunning.
The next stop was Maharaj Pier, around which there are many interesting places, including the Grand Palace, Wat Phra Kaeo (Temple of the Emerald Buddha), the National Palace, etc. The Grand Palace is the “must see” sight in Bangkok. Once the official home of the King of Siam, the Palace now house government offices and the Chapel Royal of the Emerald Buddha. Wat Phra Kaeo is the most important temple in Thailand, home to Phra Kaew Morakot, the image of a revered Buddha carved from a single block of jade. Beautiful and fascinating.

I spent the better part of the afternoon on or near the river. It’s nearly impossible to walk too far in the oppressive heat without stopping for a snack and a drink – not such a bad thing, as the food is FANTASTIC! I’m not certain that I can identify everything that I’ve eaten, but if it smells good I will try it. The only thing I have declined is whatever is in the plastic bag that is consumed through a straw. It seems quite popular, but I do have my limits.

When I returned to the hotel, I shared an elevator with a man from St Paul – yes, St Paul, Minnesota. Small world, isn’t it. He is returning from a volunteer stint in Cambodia and decided to stayover in Bangkok on his way home. I’ve also met several Americans at the pool.

I think I’ve had enough sightseeing and walking for today. There’s an Irish pub down the street that looks promising – how can I turn down the offer of bangers and mash?

Thanks for checking in! All is well – N



Tags:

3 responses to “Welcome to Bangkok”

  1. Mike says:

    It sounds beautiful and fun except for the heat.It seems like you’ve covered a lot of ground in a short time.Good for you! Think of all the wonderful things you’re getting a chance to experience and enjoy!

  2. Verry nice blog here! I really enjoyed reading it so much that I bookmarked this on digg! I wish you continued success!

  3. This is really what I was serching for (Welcome to Bangkok » TravelBlog Archive » Nancy& ; report).! thx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *