BootsnAll Travel Network



Shanghai musings

I am not a member of the fashion police, but …  what is the deal with wearing pajamas in public? In smaller cities in China, it is not unusual in the late afternoon or evening, to have folks wear their pajamas around their local neighborhood. However, I am surprised to see to adults, not children, wearing the whole outfit (top and bottom) out in major metropolitan public mid-day.

You are going to poke an eye out with that thing …  Dear citizens of Shanghai, may I make a suggestion for umbrella ettiquette – when you use your umbrella, please be aware of the umbrella-less all around you that do not deserve to get smacked, smushed, or whacked because you are blissfully unaware that the points of your umbrella are poking fellow pedestrians in the face.  Umbrellas are meant to be used for protection from the sun and the rain, not as weapons.

Beauty and the Bleach?  In China, skin whiteners are the best selling beauty product; in a store where I had trouble finding conditioner I found aisles devoted solely to skin whitening products.  I can only compare it to our (in the U.S.) desire to be tan, but a tan is a natural reaction to sun exposure and bleaching is just so … not natural.  I think the Asian skin color is really lovely and would not change it at all. 

Traffic …   I do not have any photographs of Shanghai traffic. It is difficult to use a camera while running for your life or when white-knuckling the door handle of the taxi cab you are riding in.  Apparently, traffic lights are only guidelines, not necessarily to be paid any attention to. The green light starts flashing before it turns red. The yellow light comes on a few seconds before the red light changes to green. This is to give the cars a running start at the pedestrians and bicycles still in the intersection …

Gee, do ya think this Birkin bag is a fake? Uh, I would have to say “yes” if you are paying US$10 (Birkin retail price $10,000). While shopping in Shanghai, you will encounter plenty of fake, pirated, and otherwise illegally copied goods. If you want the genuine article, you can definitely find it in one of the high-end retail establishments, but if you are shopping at the Fake Market – well, there is a good chance that the Birkin is a fake …



Tags:

One response to “Shanghai musings”

  1. I am amazed, I have to admit. Truly rarely will i stumbled upon a blog that is each educational and enjoyable, as well as let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the mind. Your own post is essential; the problem is something which not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am truly happy that I stumbled across this particular during my look for something concerning this.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *