BootsnAll Travel Network



Lin Hai

Lin Hai is situated in the middle of the coastline in Zhejiang Province.  It’s a small city (about 500,000 people).  It has the monsoon climate of subtropical zone – the temperatures are a bit more tolerable than Hangzhou, but it rains a bit more often. The tourist attractions in Lin Hai are the Great Wall of the South and East Lake.

Great Wall Lin Hai  Great Wall, Lin Hai

We arrived at the Summer English Language Camp in Lin Hai on Saturday afternoon. The students arrived at camp on Sunday morning and we spent the day with registration, orientation, and the opening ceremonies.

I have 41 students (!!), age 14, at Level 2 (high beginner).  We have class from 8 am – 5 pm in non-air conditioned classrooms, so you can imagine we all have some long days.  This week we are having the Olympics (my classroom is Finland) so we are busy making flags and making up a sport to host.

Life at the Lin Hai summer camp is … uh … interesting.  We sleep on bamboo mats, eat at the cafeteria with the students, and (if we want hot water) shower in the public area. The campus gates are locked by the guards at 11 pm and all lights are out by midnight, which puts quite a damper on any late night social activities.  So sad.

I really don’t have anything fabulous to report – we are just teaching and going to meetings all day, every day.  I’m looking forward continuing my solo travels at the end of the month, but until then – it’s the same old, same old.

All is well!  N



Tags:

2 responses to “Lin Hai”

  1. Mike says:

    Do you sleep in a barracks situation or do you have your own space? Have you decided on a sport to host? How about archery or swimming? Late night Nancy’s gonna shake it when she gets back to the states,uh-huh.

  2. admin says:

    Yes, we live in barracks. We have 4 bunk beds (8 beds per room) but there are only 2 people in each room.

    My sport is golf. We hit rubber balls into coffee cups with a broom. The kids made it up – they get all the credit!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *