BootsnAll Travel Network



I am so proud of my students

Last night we had an English Speech contest for the entire camp.  Competing against 18 other teams, my students won the top honors!  I really can’t take any credit – while I gave each team an idea, the kids wrote a skit on their own, with a full cast of characters, lots of action, and (most importantly) in perfect English dialogue.  Excellent!

They didn’t do so well in the camp Olympics.  We represented Finland in the games, but Germany walked away with most of the medals.  Oh, well – they tried and they all had a good time.

We only have a few more days left of camp and I think the kids and the teachers are all ready to for it to end.  We are all busy planning our itineraries for the post-camp free time.

We have new roommates.  One of the teachers received 2 chinchilla (?!  … I don’t think so, but it is some sort of rodent …)  babies from her students – and guess where they ended up … in OUR dorm room!
They are adorable, but … we will likely set them free in the wilderness sometime later this week.

The teachers and staff have a meeting tonight to begin planning our ‘Christmas’ party – yes, Christmas in July.  Don’t ask ….

All is well here.  Keep in touch!



Tags:

10 responses to “I am so proud of my students”

  1. Ardath says:

    Congratulations to you and your students on winning
    honors in the English Speech contest. I can hardly wait
    to hear how you do in Chinese speech when you get
    back. Keep up the good work!!.
    Merry Christmas–I guess..
    Love, Mother.

  2. lISA says:

    Good work. I’ve been following your blog but I didn’t figure out the comment thing until today. It sounds like you have knack for teaching.

    Lisa

  3. Bill says:

    I’m suprised they celebrate Christmas in China at the end of July. I had always been lead to believe that was when the Chinese people celebrated my Birthday. Wonders never cease. Congratulations on your students’ victory. But how did you expect the Finns to compete against the Germans? I’ll bet the Germans were using performance enhancing drugs …

  4. Mary says:

    Most impressive, Nancy! Bill’s comment about the Germans is so funny. Yes, Merry Christmas. I’m so glad you seem to be having such a wonderful experience.

    Mary
    p.s. Good job, Lisa!

  5. Deb says:

    Nanc –
    I’m reading your blog from home today, as I have pneumonia! Long story, I’ll fill you in when you get back. Congratulations to your students and to their teacher. Sounds like both are very motivated to do a good job. I knew you would be, but sometimes it’s hard to find motivated students -at least here in the good ol’ US of A. Have you visited the Great Wall? Can’t wait for you to get back and tell your stories.

    Deb

  6. Bill says:

    OK, so when is Christmas in July? Does Santa know about this? What about Rudolph? Is he going to get to play? Are the kids going to sing Christmas Caroles? Too bad I’m not there to teach them how to sing!

    Bill

  7. Barb says:

    I’m thinking your last day of teaching probably is tomorrow, or Saturday. Sounds like great fun and success have been had by all!
    The chinchillas are native to the high Andes of South America. They’d probably prefer being released into an alpine environment, if there’s one accessible to you.
    I’m looking forward to hearing about your plans for the next couple of weeks as your Asian adventure continues!
    Love, Barb

  8. Bill says:

    We want more!

    Look forward to your next posting.

    [Rif spent the weekend here. It was nice to see him. We went to two Saints games. He helped me pick out a new cell phone. Pretty basic, but real nice.]

    Bill

  9. Mike says:

    Congats on winning the English speaking competition! Are the chinchillas cute or just like some stinky ill-mannered ferret?Who are the new roommates? What was the premise of the skit that your kids put together?

  10. Marie says:

    Good job, Nancy and students!

    Man, didn’t you just have Halloween? Those Chinese have funny calendars. I like Dad’s comment about him teaching the kids how to sing.

    Love,

    Marie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *