BootsnAll Travel Network



One week + 10 pounds later …

After one week in China, I am getting used to the slurping, the spitting, the singing, the sweating, and being stared at … and I have actually come to enjoy being here quite a lot.

Slurpalicious.  Slurping is considered good manners – the more you slurp, the better you demonstrate the your appreciation for what you are eating.

Is that necessary?  In mainland China public spitting is very common. Hearing the sound of somebody clearing their throat from way deep down and then horking out the product is common.

Singing may be a national hobby. I have noticed that some Chinese men just LOVE singing out loud. We’ll be walking on the street, and some random guy will spontaneously start singing out loud for one or two phrases. It’s a bit odd, but not unpleasant.

The sweaty foreigners … The temperatures have been a bit out of control with a recent high of 104 degrees!!  The odd thing is that the Chinese people don’t seem to sweat nearly as much as the foreigners, and even wear long sleeves and long pants without any visible discomfort.

Take a picture – it lasts longer In China, our biggest problem is probably the fact that people stare at us. And not just looking, it’s staring, doing a 180, and looking up and down and up and down. It does not help when you stare at them back either. We are just going to do our best to ignore it and get used to it.

Adventures in eating   The food has lost most of its mystery.  My diet consists primarily of rice and noodles and the variety of soggy vegetables I can occasionally identify.  Last night a whole group of us finally broke down, piled into taxis, and went out for pizza and beer – heaven.

I have really enjoyed my teaching assignment in Hangzhou.  The kids are wonderful (well, I have a few naughty ones) and they are so damn cute!  Yesterday, Friday the 13th, we had a “Halloween” event (yes, Halloween – in July – don’t ask ….)  and the kids have been very busy this week making masks.

Today is our final day in Hangzhou. During our free time we have been doing the touristy things, wandering around West Lake and sipping their famous Long-Jin (Dragon Well) tea.

West Lake  Fishes, West Lake, Hangzhou

Eight of us are transferring for a two-week teaching assignment in Lin Hai, a much smaller city about 3 hours from Hangzhou.

We begin teaching at the school tomorrow (Sunday) and complete the camp on July 29.  It will be a very busy two weeks, as we teach from 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. and have meetings and activities every evening from 7 -9, so don’t be alarmed if I there are not any new posts for a few days.

Thanks for keeping in touch!  Nancy



Tags:

6 responses to “One week + 10 pounds later …”

  1. Bill says:

    I’m glad things seem to have become more comfortable for you. I’m looking forward to your return. Especially all of the spitting and slurping! Bob just got back from Taiwan. He said it was so hot and humid there that when he got off the plane his glasses fogged so much he had to take them off. He was also in the PROC, but he said he didn’t run into you. Apparently it must be a pretty large country with a good number of people.

    Bill

  2. Bill says:

    From the weather forecast, it sounds like the temperature where you are now is a little milder, but the rain out of control.

    Bill

  3. Ardath says:

    Glad your teaching experience is going well and you have
    some new techniques like slurping and spitting.
    The forecast here is for 100 by the end of the week–
    so you’ll be comfortable when you get home.
    Enjoy each new experience==with starring.
    Love, Mother.

  4. Claire says:

    Nancy— Happy Birthday a few days late! You and my Bill have the same birthday. I can’t believe that I never asked you and Michelle when your b’day was??? This is one you will will remember for sure. OK— I’ve laughed and said “ew” SO many times reading your blogs. The food things with feet up is really is more than I can imagine trying. How could you have gained weight eating things with feet? Yikes! The time is going by so quickly. It’s great to read about the kids and know that you’re with the other teachers who speak English. Again, happy birthday to you! Claire

  5. Mary says:

    Nancy, sounds like you are having a great time with the teaching — who knew you would like that. I can’t imagine how good the pizza must have been. I would never have eaten most of what you have tried. Enjoy your next assignment. I hope the kids are just as cute.

    p.s. I loved Bill’s comment about Bob not seeing you in the PROC.

  6. Peggy says:

    Nancy, you are having such an adventure! It’s great to hear about them all and your teaching experiences. I know I couldn’t stand that heat and humidity – its been hot enough here this summer and humid yesterday and today. We’re anxious to have you home again!

  7. Marie says:

    Oh, that Bill! He is pretty funny, huh Nancy?

    My favorite part is the singing–that would be fun. It’s like you’re in a musical!

    Keep up the posts!

    Love,
    Marie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *