BootsnAll Travel Network



The Sands Of Time

 


Bishops Castle 3
Originally uploaded by roupiesontour

October 3rd – Wednesday
I am writing this with a spectacular view just over my laptop. The mountains are in the distance (over 80 miles away) there is the San Luis valley before and to the side the peaky sand dunes of the Great Sand Dunes National Park. It is sunset and behind me the stars are starting to reveal themselves, in front of me the sky is orange, grey and blue. Jealous yet? I forgot to mention the motel is over 16 miles away from the nearest road so the only noise (apart from Ophelie giving Josh fashion advice) is the swaying grass and a chorus of crickets. This is what the trip is about – I wish I could transport you all here – you would immediately feel chilled out. I can’t wait to see the stars with no pollution later – it is a very clear night. The valley is also renowned for UFO activity so the chance to stay here (http://www.gslodge.com) was just too good to miss……………….

Our route today also took us to Bishop’s Castle. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUfeZcRy_bo) The castle has been built stone by stone single-handedly by Jim using a series of winches and pullies. You really have to see it to believe it. I climbed all the way up to the ball but chickened out of going outside. The ironwork was a bit too rickety for me and the view straight through your feet left me with wobbly legs – the kids had chickened out halfway up the tower! Loved the dragon on the top though.

We arrived at the Great Sand Dunes Park just before 5 (closing time) so will go back up tomorrow. The sand dunes are huge and again look like someone from the Sahara just decided to relocate some of the desert. Apparently you can go sand-surfing 🙂



Tags: ,

0 responses to “The Sands Of Time”

  1. Diane May says:

    Wow Lisa you sure are doing a lot of travelling. How are you doing? Missing you over here but loving the detailed account of your explorations. Keep letting us know how and where you are
    Lots of love and best wishes
    Diane

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *