BootsnAll Travel Network



November 12th – The Sun Has Got His Hat On


San Jose Airport – Costa Rica

Originally uploaded by roupiesontour

On the day we are to leave and there are clear blue skies. It’s amazing how much a town changes with a few rays of light – it looks like a completely different town. The sea is clam and looks turquoise – I wish we had been able to snorkel. My back is painful but as long as Josh can carry my bag we should be OK. We left the hotel to walk into town for something to eat and stopped by the book exchange. Managed to pick up Wuthering Heights – one of my favourite books. Interbus picked us up at 2 for the long journey back to San Jose. Time flies by when you look out the window. We saw the small island where Christopher Columbus first landed in it’s full glory – I actually got goose bumps thinking about it and seeing the view that must have made him so excited.

It started raining at dusk and soon the driver was careering along in the dark, through sheets of rain and lightning and driving through clouds. Gloria Ganor was singing “I Will Survive” on the radio and the American in the front seat just kept his eyes shut and fingers crossed. Once again I am so glad I did not hire a car here, I have no idea how I would have coped in such bad weather.

 

November 13th – Farewell Costa Rica 

 

One thing we have learned about ourselves – we do not fly very well early in the morning. The flight was at 7am. The hostel gives you a free shuttle to the airport, the lovely girl on reception drove us in her dressing gown! She said it was her favourite time of day (5am) as there is no traffic and you get to see the sun rise and this morning – no rain! I am not sad to leave this beautiful country. Yes the rain did not help but it so expensive here – more than America. The country should be renamed to Costa Whole Lotta More Than You Thought. Yes I know some of it goes towards helping the rainforest but a lot is just private enterprise making a quick buck out of the touristas, in a couple of years this place will just be a sad row of big hotel chains and Mcforest burgers charging a fortune. If you plan to see Costa Rica at its best go in the middle of the dry season and soon. 

 

Point to remember – never take malaria tablets without food. We stupidly did – O and I nearly threw up and I also had to crouch on the floor at the check in desk as I nearly fainted – whoops. Will not be doing that again. 

 

My back has held up so far – stiff and I can’t bend down or pick anything up but I don’t think there is any serious damage done. We arrived in Mexico city – took one look at the smog that enfolds the city and decided to carry on straight away to Merida. We got on an early afternoon flight with Aero California. The flight was half empty and the plane was straight from the 70’s but we made it in one piece. 



 



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *