BootsnAll Travel Network



Mexico!


Main Square – Merida

Originally uploaded by roupiesontour

First impressions? No rain! Merida is like a maze – all the streets are like a grid and the buildings are seldom higher than 1 or 2 storeys but the streets are narrow so it feels enclosed. Buildings are painted in bright colours and there are metal grids over every window and door. The hotel (Mucuy) is very central and has a small pool in the courtyard. We all chilled for a bit and then went out exploring. There is a central square with the first cathedral to be built in America, this is surrounded by small shops and restaurants and there also small parks nearby. We have been accosted by many people trying to sell trips – I tried speaking French to get rid of them but they also spoke the language so will have to try something else tomorrow! Every 4th car is an old VW Beetle – Mexico is obviously the place they come to retire.

Every night in Merida there is something happening. Tonight we came across another square with a live band playing old mambo and salsa type tunes. People were dancing – from old couples to young mother’s with babies in their arms. It was just how I imagined Mexico to be. Some old guy was giving me the eye and if my back had been normal I would have been tempted to have a go – just to embarrass the kids! This is exactly how I imagined Mexico to be and the vibe of the city is great. I have a small padlock on my bag but feel safe when we go out – even in the dark.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *