BootsnAll Travel Network



Mayan Mania

 


Chichen Itza
Originally uploaded by roupiesontour

Wednesday November 14th

Every day I wake up and hope some small miracle has happened with my hair. Every day I look more and more like I have Kramer hair (from Seinfeld for those who remember!). There is just no hope in this humidity and I find myself dreaming of a life where straighteners are on hand!

I booked a trip to Chichen Itza through the hotel. It took a couple of hours to get there which always gives a good opportunity for sight seeing. People live in such poverty here – oval huts where the walls are constructed of bamboo and a thatched roof. An electric meter and single power line just outside the front door seem totally at odds to the building. I have also noticed many people have that striking Mayan look, to me the word calm springs to mind, faces seem almost serene.

Chichen Itza itself is madness. For those of you who have ever been to Venice and seen the madness of the “follow the umbrella” type tour – you will know what I am talking about. The ruins are swarming with bus loads of tourists from Cancun – clad in bikinis and swim shorts – men with no tops – very respectful of the human sacrifices that occurred here. I was hoping to at least feel some “spirit” but no – nothing. It was just too Mayan-Disney for me. I did take a lot of pictures and it was interesting finding out about the buildings and for eg the ball ring which had incredible acoustics. Apparently the person who won the game got sacrificed and their head was mounted on a pole (a great honour). I can’t see it myself, maybe it would have been more incentive for the losers to be sacrificed! Stalls line every bit of shade and everything from hankies to carved masks are “one dollar, one dollar – nearly free – good rpice just for today”. We came across a young boy (about 13) carving a wooden skeleton which we had to buy – he is sitting on the chest of drawers watching me as I write this. We put a knotted hanky on his head and have named him Chico.

We finished the day off with a sorbet at night in the grand square. I had banana which looked like a brain according to Josh but even he could not put me off eating it. As soon as you sit down you get approached by everyone from small children to old cowboys selling their wares,
cheese, bracelets, belts, shirts, coins – you name it you don’t have to go far to shop here! They are very good though, as soon as you say no they will not bother you again.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *