BootsnAll Travel Network



Niagara Falls

 


Gringo in Niagara
Originally uploaded by roupiesontour

Saturday September 15th. We were sad to say goodbye to NY but it was time to move on. We took the Amtrak train up to Niagara Falls – about a 10 hour trip. It was v relaxing to take the world in at a slower pace. The train followed the Hudson River up for most of the way, beautiful scenery – forest covered mountains, circling hawks and the sun shining off the river. The guards on the trains are characters themselves and really make you feel welcome. We arrived in Niagara late and it was straight off to the hotel and bed.

Sunday September 16th. A cloudy but warm day. Why is it in America you do not seem to be able to get around without a car? There are loads of bus stops but no buses. We decided to “hike” the concrete jungle that is Niagara to the falls – we finally got on a bus after an hour. We’d nearly made it into town by this time!! It is a rundown, industrial area – imagine Bognor Regis in the 70’s – basically a bit of a dump. It took us a while to actually find the falls as they are not really marked.

The falls themselves are spectacular. Hearing the rush of water that fast is amazing.

 Horseshoe Falls  Blue Adventurers 

We donned the famous blue ponchos and boarded the Maid of the Mist, got completely soaked but we were still laughing at the end of it. I wound up the kids saying the lift down to the boat was free but because we had gone over budget that day we had to walk up as you had to pay – ohhh the faces they pulled!!!

Popped into Canada for something to eat – kids were chuffed as the passports were stamped. The view of the falls is much better from the Canadian side – in fact it seems that the Canadians have much more fun as everything was much better laid out. Tip for anyone wanting to see the falls – stay on the Canadian side!

We caught the bus back – all the way this time! We were getting near to the hotel and we stopped (the bus was full) the bus driver shouts – “Hey You Miss – in the sunglasses, come here and bring the kids”. This is it I thought – we have violated some ridiculous little law like sitting on our seats wrong or something. We nervously walked up to the front of the bus and the driver says “This is the last stop on this road, for your hotel I would get off now”. The relief, I really thought we were in trouble. In hindsight I think the driver just enjoyed the power of making you feel a little bit smaller! Dumb Limeys right….



Tags: ,

One response to “Niagara Falls”

  1. sadie says:

    Hi you three! I love the blog and I am glad that you are having what appears to be a fantastic time! Keep writing I want to hear about all of it – just wish I could do it too, perhaps one day. Think of me doing PBTS training (I managed to miss it today – only because I hit someone in my car on the way to work!). Safe travels, all my love Sadie XXX

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *