BootsnAll Travel Network



The Big Apple – 2

  


Battery Park Memorial
Originally uploaded by roupiesontour

Ha ha I have at last worked out how to access the free internet in the room. I came up last night after uploading the blog from the wi-fi hotspot in the lobby and both the kids were fast asleep!

Got up a bit later today………well we completely overslept after all of yesterday’s walking. First stop was Ground Zero. I don’t quite know what I expected but is certainly a strange place. The site is fenced off as building is underway on a new tower as a memorial – apart from that there is really nothing there. The area is conspicuous as it is surrounded on all sides by massive buildings and the site is a gaping hole. I could only look up at the other buildings and see how far those people who jumped had to fall. I just cannot imagine what the panic must have been like – it made me want to cry. We left the area quickly afterwards. The photo is of a memorial we came across at Battery Park, the fireman’s jacket a freaky icon.

 

Brooklyn Bridge 15 minutes later and my spirits had a chance to soar – I finally got to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge – a top 10 things to do before I die completed.

It was amazing, New Yorkers seem to use it to exercise, jogging, cycling (do not dare to walk in the cycle lane, the abuse a poor Spanish couple received turned the air blue!) and for catching up on gossip while power walking. I touched the arches and again my mind was off wandering about the men who had constructed it – it was such a feat at the time.

Bag LadyWalking around I am surprised about the number of homeless people. The lady in the picture was rummaging through the bins. Some carry laptop bags and look quite smart until you see their shoes are full of holes. One guy we met was handing out cards trying to get people to help test Aids vaccines – he was HIV positive and was also trying to educate people – that’s just the New York style – despite adversity there’s still always time for a joke.

 

GhostbustersThe afternoon saw us catching the orange Staten Island ferry, I can’t believe it is free. Great views of Manhattan and Statue of Liberty and the theme tune for “Working Girl” would not go out of my head all day – “Let The River Run……….” Also managed to visit Hook & Ladder 8, the home of Ghostbusters and the Friends building for Ophelie. She was surprised at how different it looks to the series. I loved meandering around Tribeca and Soho, imagining winning the lottery and having a nice little brownstone here……..as you do. Every time we got the map out for more than 10 seconds someone would come up and ask if we needed help and we would usually end up with a little history about their city too. Can not imagine people in London being as friendly.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *