BootsnAll Travel Network



And I Would Walk 500 Miles


Wyoming View

Originally uploaded by roupiesontour

September 29th – Saturday

It was a bit of a pull leaving the cabin and all the dogs but it was time to move. We did really well and made it as far as Denver. The kids were very good and rather than travel again tomorrow we will stay in this area for a few days. The sight of a theme park by the kids might have helped this decision!

Unfortunately it was more open spaces/plains en route – it felt like we went round the bottom of the mountains. I don’t know how to explain these massive expanses, they are the colour of a Labrador – maybe a bit more mustard in colour. The texture is like that of short dog hair and when the wind blows the whole plain moves like a living thing. Every now and then there are mini flat topped mountains. They tell the geological history of the earth in the different coloured layers that make them up. Some have a few rocks, others have a few pines but generally there is just the Labrador fur as far as the eye can see. The road goes gently up and down – on the ups (as you can’t see the horizon) you pray that the view will change to something more exciting but no, as you ride the concrete wave it is just more of the same. The anticipation of crossing the mountains is getting far too much.

The wind is something else – I usually do about 100 miles on a quarter of a tank of petrol. Today I did only 50. Yes I did start to panic that we would not make the next petrol station as the fuel gauge needle was dropping like a stone. The lady at the gas station laughed as she recognised the relief on my face. Apparently there are many of us that come in with the same look.

As a treat for enduring the long journey we went to a diner for dinner. It had pink sparkly benches in the booths and the burger (my first one here) was mouth meltingly delicious. Also had a Reese’s peanut butter shake and the meal completely beat all of us – even Josh could not finish his fries.

Weird Sites – This is a retrospective one that I remembered in the car. In Chicago at the Super 8 there is a shuttle bus driver. He is about 6 foot 5 and dresses just like a 70’s pimp. He wears the same colour from head to toe – suit and hat complete with feather. I can’t remember his name but he made us laugh with his easy manner and jokes.

Biggest RV – an actual trailer and truck made into a portable home. The wife was sitting in the passenger seat doing her knitting. Only in America.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *