BootsnAll Travel Network



Oaxaca Villages

After getting back from Hierve el Agua last Sunday, I holed up in my apartment for two days. It has gotten really cold and windy. There is no heat in the apartment so I turn on the oven and open the oven door.

A couple nights ago, three friends and I went to a restaurant/cantina for great seafood soup with crab and shrimp and a beer. Then we sat on some bar stools in Max’s favorite bar next to the restaurant for an ultima (last one for the road) mescal where he had had an interesting “conversation” with a Mexican deaf-mute the night before…neither one knowing what the other one was intending. Max’s account was hilarious. I was the only woman there besides the female bar maid…and was introduced all around to the regulars…working class middle aged men…unlike the other cantinas I had been to where the patrons were hard-drinking young machismos.

Yesterday Sharon and I went to the Tlacalula Sunday Market…busy and full of brightly dressed indigenous people as usual. I bought some small carved coconut half-shells to serve my mescal and we both bought a petata…a large woven mat that people sleep on in the villages…from a tiny old woman with really rought hands from San Leandro…a town near Hierve de Agua. I will use it for a floor cover. We stopped in Huayapam on the way back to see Charlie and Bardo. Mica had gone to a movie.

Saturday I will go to a mountain village,San Pedro de Cajonos, (be careful how you pronounce Cajonos) to visit a family that carves Alebrijes…small painted fanciful animals. Thursday is Thanksgiving in the States.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *