BootsnAll Travel Network



A stopover in Jacksonville- family, friends and festivities

September 13th-20th

After almost seven months “on the road”, we returned to my hometown and sending off place, Jacksonville, Florida. Some major events had taken place while we were gone- mom and Ken had bought a fifth-wheel trailer and decided to move out of their house. It was not only going to be a big change for them but also for me (this had been my “permanent” address in the United States for a long time- now it was time for me to have my own.)

We had a big “to-do” list when we arrived- renew my driver’s license, clean the car inside and out, organize our trip to Europe, etc, etc. We also had to celebrate my 34th birthday- the first one I had spent with my family since I turned 25.

The week was hectic and fun- shopping with Nicole, hanging out with Pete and Skylar, having yummy chocolate birthday cake with my mom at the bar and a decadent brunch with everyone at the Crab Cake Factory. Fabien spoiled me with a spa pedicure for my birthday, something I had been craving for months after walking hundreds of miles in my hiking boots.

We did include a little sightseeing in our stop in Jacksonville; we visited Fort Caroline with my brother. Fort Caroline was the site of a French Huguenot colony who settled this area in the 1600s- at that time it was an area mainly controlled by the Spanish.  After a little hike, we went out to Hannah Park and played football and paddle on the beach.

I also managed to update my resume and send it to a potential employer in Boston.

It was hard to say goodbye, to leave Jacksonville and get back “on the road” to continue our trip north. I’m really starting to look forward to having a routine and our own place.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *