BootsnAll Travel Network



What Does a TEFLer Earn Abroad?

Money

Good question. Clearly, one needs to know what one can earn before heading out on the Great Adventure.

Since there is no one answer, here is a bit of a guide to help you know what to expect in salaries, and the differences in location and type of teaching position.

Let’s start with Asia. Gordon’s Teach English Abroad site is a good authority on this part of the world, so I’ll quote some statistics from him.

Japan

Salaries range from 230-270,000 yen/month for eikaiwas. After, rent, taxes and other expenses, most teachers are able to save about 75-100,000 yen/month if they are careful with their money.
JET teachers receive 300,000/month. The JET program is one of the best deals going on in Japan. You work in the Japanese public school system (almost exclusively in middle and high schools) as an ALT (assistant language teacher) to a Japanese teacher. No prior teaching experience is required, just a degree.
Salaries do increase significantly for university teachers, along with the expected qualifications (related Masters degree, publications, and Japanese language ability).

China

Salaries are lower in China than most other countries, but so it the cost of living and the teaching load is also much less too. With the university sectors, starting salaries usually depend upon one’s qualifications. Salaries will also vary between provinces and cities. Once you have your foot in the door and have gained some experience, you should be able to bargain for a higher salary when contract renewal time comes around.
Shanghai is probably the most expensive city on the Mainland, but FTs salaries do not often reflect that. Salaries are subject to the operation of the Law of Supply and Demand. It would appear that nearly every new teacher wants to work in Shanghai, thus too many people chasing too few jobs, resulting in lower wages.

South Korea

Starting out, you can expect to receive about 2 million won (monthly) for a 30 hour work week in a hagwon. University jobs pay more and include a much longer vacation, usually a few months. Be careful of schools which offer a surprisingly high salary.
South Korea may very well be the best country in Asia to save money, especially for a new teacher. Salaries are almost as high as Japan, but the cost of living is much lower, especially if you want to travel around the countryside.

Thailand

32-38,000 Baht/month is the average salary in the larger cities. If you earn just over 40,000 Baht/month, you should be able to save about $100-200 US/month. TEFL salaries at language schools and public schools in Bangkok range from 26,000 on the lower end of the scale to 45,000 Baht per month on the higher end; in the Thai provinces you can expect to see offers of 20,000-35,000 Baht. Thailand is not the place to go to save a vast amount of money or to pay off student loans.
University TEFL positions generally pay between 25,000-35,000 Baht, but there are more opportunities to get some private students since the normal teaching load at a university is less than at a typical language school.

Taiwan

Many schools pay you an hourly wage with a minimum number of hours that are stipulated on your contract. New teachers make on average about NT$550-600/hour. Monthly contracts pay between $NT 50-70,000/ month. This should also include sick pay and paid holidays. Foreign teachers pay 6-13% income tax.

Vietnam

Salaries range from $10-$18 US/hour, depending on the school and your qualifications. This is not far removed from what language schools in North America pay, but things are a fraction of the cost. Your money goes a long way in Vietnam and you can certainly enjoy yourself on this income. Schools that pay monthly go from $1000-1400 US/month.

Well, that’s Asia. Let’s look at Mexico.

Mexico

Salaries are not high by world standards, and vary throughout the country. Language schools often pay hourly wages, though many pay a monthly salary. The maximum one might earn at a language school is $1,000 US/month – very good locally, but difficult to save and send money home.
Private schools and universities offer better compensation, ranging from $600-3000 US/month, often with benefits such as accommodation, health coverage, and vales (coupons for local purchases, most often for foodstuffs).

This will be a work in progress. I’m happy to take requests for research on specific countries not listed, though I will be adding info for the rest of Latin America, the Middle East, and Europe.



Tags: , , , , , , ,

One response to “What Does a TEFLer Earn Abroad?”

  1. admin says:

    Have an update from a Mexico City TEFLer I’d like to share, on cost of living and earnings in this city.

    Visit Gary Denness at http://my.opera.com/garydenness/blog/show.dml/1320318

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *