BootsnAll Travel Network



T vs. J part II

_MG_7420.JPG

I love tea. Being in Asia has opened me up to an entirely new world of drinking the timeless infusion. So much effort goes into the tiny bits of the carefully selected aromatic leaves, prior to getting to our pots. Before leaving Japan, Melissa and I had attempted to seek out some higher-class teas, and develop a finer appreciation. We had no idea. Chia’s father is the ultimate tea connoisseur. He was ready and waiting to open our eyes to the greater world of pou-chu (please comment on my Chinese misspellings). He busted out the finest teas in all of Taiwan. 20 year old pour cha, fancy “dragon balls”, and wonderful Taiwan High Mountain Tea. We all agreed that we could never go back to our Bigelow ignorance.

The tea rituals taught me more about Chinese culture than anything else I experienced in Taiwan. Chinese tea drinking is very ritualistic but the main emphasis is on the tea itself. The tea can be graded based on its clarity, how strong the leaves are, and of course the aroma.

After each sitting we all felt so rejuvenated and ready to go conquer Taiwan. It was as if all the energy, from the Sun, the Earth, and all the care of the growers, was inside our little cups.

The teapots are equally important. An aged teapot with a perfect coating makes for a more enjoyable experience. Chia’s father has a keen artistic taste for beautiful teapots. One in particular I remember, was a rare mountain stone formed by volcanic matter, that breaks off into the sea. Li Ba Ba sent a diver into the ocean to find this treasure. He had the perfect artist develop a relationship with the stone and craft it into a single pot. I can’t describe the feelings that over came me after this story. SO much beauty, and symbolism. So much said with so little words. Each tea session we shared was a great moment in my life.

_MG_6938.JPG



Tags: ,

4 responses to “T vs. J part II”

  1. JamenNoodle says:

    “Pau Cha” is definitely an art, and my parents have got it down 🙂

    I’m glad you guys got the chance to chat with my dad about it, he’s been pau-ing cha for longer than my whole life time.

  2. Racquel says:

    I read somewhere that the teapots can affect the taste of the tea.. lucky you!

  3. kyle says:

    Being back in the states makes me sad. But when I bust out some of the tea Li ba ba gave me, it puts me back in taiwan, if even for only a moment.

  4. JamenNoodle says:

    wow my apartment looks very cool in these pictures!

  5. racquel says:

    I haven’t been to a tea session before but I have tried moroccan mint tea. I never thought beauty and artistry are needed in making teapots. Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *