BootsnAll Travel Network



Soka High School!

PEACE!

Today Melissa, and I had the pleasure of going to one of Chris’s schools. We had met a few of his co-teachers and had an awesome time eating and drinking at his enkai(get to know each other) party. They made us promise to come see them. The experience was out of this world! It was amazing to see all the differences between American high schools and Japanese. For instance the teachers move around, not the students, and you can’t wear your shoes in school! More amazing was the students reactions to the sight of us. After we replaced our shoes and a slipped on some Soka HS issue slippers around every corner girls screamed and guys hollered. The teenagers gasped for breath at the mere sight of us, kind of like the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. Chris had two classes, both 10th grade, which we attended. They practiced simple English, but I think we may have been a bit of a distraction. One class was very shy, and didn’t say a word. The other was like a crazy zoo of some rare Japanese animal. They seemed to bounce all over the place, and asked us tons of questions. Mostly about where we were from, and what we liked to do. When they found out we were married, they totally lost it. One student asked if we loved each other. I gave a cheesy, yet sincere, reply of “very much”. The students couldn’t get a hold of themselves and started chanting for us to kiss. We didn’t go there though. All 900 students had cell phones, and they must have taken 100 pictures of us each. We didn’t really know how to react a lot of the time so we just went with it. We said hello, and bye-bye a lot, and they loved any Japanese we could muster. We made origami in the nurse’s office, with Chris, and our new friends. At the end of the day, after English club, we had the honor of hearing their brass band. We were very impressed and the teacher said they performed better than usual in our presence. Such and amazing day we had. The students fell in love with us at first sight, and we did the same. The energy they gave us still hasn’t peaked. Brett told us at a school we would feel like rock stars, but I don’t think the Stones can even top that photo per hour rate.

Band club



Tags: ,

0 responses to “Soka High School!”

  1. Adam says:

    !!!

    Wow. Those photos are worth a million fucking dollars.

    Dude, when we get there, I wanna go to a high school!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *