BootsnAll Travel Network



Salute to Women

Yesterday the greatest event of my trip occured. I tried to see an exhibit of Martin Chambi´s 1920-1940s photos of Cusco and Machupicchu, but it was closed until 4 PM (I did see it today with my friend, Mark, and he was as great of a photographer as Ansel Adams). I was walking to Plaza de Armas (I´m in Cusco again, by the way, with plenty of stories to tell about the last few days, but I think this one is more important) when I spotted a parade of indigenous people. Luckily, I had my camera with me although I had no intention of taking more Cusco photos and I got it out right away. The locals were all dressed up in their traditional clothes. They were grouped by their home villages and each village has a different outfit. I noticed soon that almost all of the participants were women. I took pictures from the middle of the parade to the end when I noticed that the parade of thousands was wrapping around the plaza and headed down an alley to the next plaza. I gave chase…

When I got to the Plaza de Regocijo, I saw a stage and sign proclaiming that this was a day to salute to the women of Cusco. I put myself right in the middle of the parade and just started firing off photos of every interesting and beautiful and ugly woman that came by. It is my experience that it is the rare indigenous person who wants their photo to be taken and if they do they generally want a payment. Absolutely not true this day and every conceivable group of Cusquenans was here. The women were so proud of themselves and how they looked and they loved having their photos taken.

When the women (and some men in their full regalia, too) entered the plaza and passed the stage, they headed to the center of the plaza and posed for photos by the beautiful fountain. In two hours I took about 600 photos and I took a quick look today and maybe 400 of them are just great. I´m not going to bore you with trying to describe something that is impossible to describe in less than 10,000 words so I promise I will get the photos on the internet next week. I have never seen anything like what flowed by me yesterday. I have never seen so many happy and proud women in my life. Music and dancing broke out. The men´s pride in their wives, sisters, daughters and mothers was spectacular. The children were dressed up and so beautiful by their mom´s side or on her back. Peru has once again blown my socks off!

On the stage, a woman belted out an amazing song in the local language of the Indians – Quechua. Everyone stopped and listened to her. As she ended, the darkening skies opened up and a downpour of rain and hail with thunder and lightening ripped through this stunning valley of green hills and colonial architecture built upon Incan foundations. Everyone ran for the surrounding sidewalks which are covered. More music broke out from the stage, but it was basically over in such a dramatic and fitting way. I will truly never forget the colors, camaraderie, faces and feelings of yesterday. I do wonder why we never have celebrations like they do here. Is it too much to ask for a day where everyone drops what they are doing and meets in the center of town to salute the women of our lives? Mother´s Day is great, but it doesn´t do this. I would list all of the women in my life that I love, cherish and honor, but I will miss someone. So, I just say that I thought of all of you yesterday and I salute all of you. You know who you are!



Tags: , ,

One response to “Salute to Women”

  1. Julie says:

    Sounds like a wonderful day!

  2. Danyel says:

    I love celebrating my birthday every year some where else in the world that celebrates the International Day of Women. This year was my 39th and I was in Mexico. I wish we celebrated in the U.S.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *