BootsnAll Travel Network



How Lucky Are We!

It just hit me today on my perfect travel from Mexico City to Antigua (via 20-30 minute taxi and a 1 hour, 40 minute flight on Taca Airline (Great!) and a 1 hour, 30 minute shuttle van ride which should have only been 45 minutes, but construction of new highway is ongoing) about how lucky that we can travel so easily.  Oh things go wrong and can get us a little pissy, but how many of us would ever see another continent let alone the other side of the continent less than one hundred years ago?  I continue to find that the best airports do not reside in the U.S.  Far from it.  Oh they may be shabbier in other parts, BUT…

1) you usually get your ticket and baggage check done very quickly

2) everyone is courteous and seems to truly appreciate having a job due to travelers, 

3) no one hassles you when you are going through security,  

4) usually the airport personnel go out of their way to help especially when language issues arise,

5) the plane loading is efficient,

6) almost all of my flights taken so far have been on time departing and arriving,

7) passport control is quick, friendly and efficient,

8) customs officials are probably not waiting to search,

9) there is a FREE – every damn airport except every single one in U.S. – luggage trolley because who needs to lug stuff after arriving and why should they cost money, and

10) someone is waiting to take you somewhere at a fair price. 

So just consider yourself lucky next time you are on a delayed flight or whatever else can go wrong because you wouldn’t have been doing it too long ago.  By the way, Mexico City is a world-class city and I had a great time although being sick really affected what I was able to do… more on that visit in the future.  Meanwhile, arrived in Antigua, Guatemala (not the island!) this evening and it looks quite charming – Colonial, Latin American, maybe Mayan with the worst engineered, but most charming cobblestone (stretch) streets. 



Tags: , ,

0 responses to “How Lucky Are We!”

  1. Kathy C says:

    Hi Rick. Finally at a computer where I can remark. I was in Mexico City as the first stop in the Global Oddyssey of 1976. Even back then it was truly a international city. I was impressed with the same things at the airport too; and also the use of international symbols everywhere. I do with I had been able to tell you before you went to M.C. about the fantastic museum of culture development there. It is the outstanding memory of my brief stay in M.C. The rest of South America will all be new to me and I love seeing it from your eyes.

  2. susan says:

    Great to read about your adventures. Would love any sort of advice….as I am about to embark on my own journey through South America, Africa, Europe and possibly SE Asia. Lots of things to think about.

    Any words of wisdom or tips would be much appreciated!

  3. joe garrison says:

    Hi Rick. Scott, Danielle, Krissy, Alfredo, Brenda and I will be in Costa Rica over Christmas. Are you going to be there at that time? We would love to get together. Let me know. Julie told us about your blog, and we’ve enjoyed reading it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *