BootsnAll Travel Network



I don’t think we’re in Eugene anymore…

I left Eugene just over 48 hours ago and I have to say it feels good. I’m now in San Francisco, having arrived on the train yesterday morning. I thought the train ride was going to be fun, but it turned out to be long and boring. It took 18 hours to get from Eugene to San Francisco, and since it was an overnight trip there wasn’t much scenery. I spent most of the trip reading and sleeping.

I arrived in SF to sunny blue skies, and spent yesterday afternoon just relaxing. Last night my friend Anna and I went to a great authentic German restaurant for dinner. I had Spaten Bier and Jagerschnitzel (sp?) which was a real treat. I also got to meet a friend of Anna’s named Jen who just recently returned from her own trip to South America. It was great to talk wth her, and hearing about her experiences only helped to solidify my own reasons for wanting to take a trip of my own. After dinner we went to visit my friend Justin who bartends at this great little dive bar downtown called the Tunnel Top. Apparently it used to be a Korean gambling club, and although the place was tiny, it had a great, funky vibe to it. The DJ was spinning some old soul and r&b, and Justin makes one of the best Manhattans I’ve ever had.

Today we got up and went for a short walk up the hill to Lyon Street, near the Presidio. There is a great set of stairs there, and I did a couple of intervals on the stairs and worked up a good sweat. Although I’ve been running regularly, it hasn’t exactly been good hiking weather in Eugene so I haven’t been doing much climbing. I think I’m going to feel it in my arse tomorrow.

I fly to New Zealand tomorrow evening and will arrive there Saturday morning (whch will be early Sunday morning NZ time). The one thing I’ve already figured out is that I packed way too much stuff, but I had already planned on unloading a bunch of it in NZ after the Habitat build is over.

Below are a couple of pics. The first is me at the train station with my humongous pack, and the second is the view from the top of the Lyon Street stairs overlooking the San Francisco Bay.

Amtrak, Here I Come! SF Bay from Lyon Street

Tags: , , , ,



9 Responses to “I don’t think we’re in Eugene anymore…”

  1. Jason Says:

    Good luck, Tim. Did you really run naked through Soriah bar on Saturday? Rumor is you were streaking, a la Old School. Good on ya,

    Jason

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Candice Aguilar Says:

    Tim,

    We all miss you and It will just not be the same running without you!!

    Candice

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Laura Says:

    my NZ pack was bigger, believe or not 🙂 and I had a small carryon!

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Donovan Says:

    Tim – We are following your adventures from Portland. Keep blogging! We love it. If you need help on your trip, you know where to find me!

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. June Morrison Says:

    Glad to see that you are on your way — it looks like my schedule to go to South Carolina will be closer to May. Retirement is great and I’ll watch your trip and envy you…but so glad you decided to do this. Hear that Don has given notice — June will be when he leaves. What changes for our department.

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. Amy Says:

    Timmy!!

    I can’t wait to read more about your adventures…sounds like you’re off to a good start. Safe travels!!

  12. Posted from United States United States
  13. The Kuhls Says:

    Hey Tim
    Sorry we didn’t get to see you before your departure. With everyone’s illnesses, we just didn’t want to risk getting you sick before your big adventure. So…we’ll have to make you a good homecooked meal upon your arrival back in Eugene. Say hi to My and Kevin for us.
    Mary, Rog and the rugrats

  14. Posted from United States United States
  15. Sherry Says:

    Hey Tim, I hope your going away party was a good one, sorry I couldn’t make it but the Arizona trip was already planned. You should be in New Zealand now and I’m sure you will have an amazing time (not that I’ve been there but I’ve hear it’s great). I like their red wine down there so be sure to drink some for me. = )
    Let me know if you need me to send you some shampoo!!

    Take care,
    Sherry

  16. Wesley Smith Says:

    So, what happened next? When do we hear what happened in New Zealand?

  17. Posted from New Zealand New Zealand