BootsnAll Travel Network



Hongkers Kongkers Round 2

SkylineBright lightsBird in tree

Well, the 2nd time today? I must be in the zone or something. I think I am in desperate need of a travel partner, there is only so much fun you can have on your own. To be honest, all the other travellers are wierd. After 2 months in a pretty much all-Chinese environment, and then suddenly seeing new Laowais, is a bit strange. We Westerners are a funny-looking lot! I feel a bit self-conscious when I see other Westerners, thinking that I must look quite foreign too.
One of the great things about here though is that you don’t get stared at. In Zhengzhou you were a constant and obvious point of the Chinese regard. Outright staring, sometimes it was quite amazing to watch people look at you with such surprise or curiosity. There are so many foreigners here that it’s nice to blend in or be ignored a bit again. I can’t really sa, but there are a lot of different nationalities here, but it seems to work really well. I haven’t been here very long at all, but there is something here that works. Maybe it’s the fact that it used to be a colony so everyone is used to getting on or what. Watever it is it works here, or that’s the feeling I get so far. It feels very safe and I like it. There are ‘no spitting’ signs but I haven’t seen a single loogy since I have been here.

It’s clean here too. The soundtrack is no full of hawking and gutteral sounds like central China. My throat has cleared up and I could almost sing a song! It is still a busy city but the air is cleaner, I don’t know how but there we are.

Bamboozled

Perhaps the change of air is something about being a bit more tropical. Instead of metal scaffolding they use bamboo here. It’s amazing, it’s so strong. They make skyscrapers with it! it must be a lot lighter and perhaps better for the environment. I think I heard that bamboo forests are getting a bit rarer, but I gues as long as they use it for scaffolding they have to replant it… maybe, hopefully.

Very thin trams

The public transport is good here too… They have very thin trams, which I haven’t been on yet. They have double decker buses. But, Londoners, imagine this: a wide-awake and friendly bus driver, super clean seats with head rests, seat belts and arm rests plus a talking destination guide in Cantonese and English… and TV! What more could you ask for? These are the bog standards as well, not deluxe… amazing – and they are less than half the price… what are we playing at in London, aye?

dd.JPGThe Chinese Banyan

Victoria Peak tomorrow I think, plus Martial Arts stuff.

Til next time.

x



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *