BootsnAll Travel Network



Great? It’s an amazing wall!!

The streets were littered with red fire cracker papers this morning.
Happy New Year. Welcome to the Year of the Dog! Woof!
Went to back to the Taoist Temple Dongyue Si this morning to light some inscence and say hello to a doggy 2006!
Back to the hostel for breakfast and then off to the Great Wall! Take two… Action!
Me and the Great Wall
I was picked up from the hostel by a nice young tour operator called Yuko (I think) which is Japanese for snow (don’t ask me why a Japanese name). We walked through the chaos of Spring Festival to meet the driver of the tour bus. Happy New Year everyone! The year of the Dog! Everyone was on their way to the Temple fairs all around Beijing today.
We picked up all in all about 10 of us in all. Yuko gave a nice talk on Beijing and Spring Festival and the Wall. The particular section of the wall we were going to was called Mutianyu.
On the way we stopped off at a factory workshop that makes the opper gilded vases cloisonne (again not sure), was quite interesting but not what I came for. Next stop the wall.
Because we only had such a short time, we took a cable car up to the mountain tops…. I know, very touristic but I’m glad I didn’t walk up and then have less time there.
Wow, it’s amazing! I think it’s something to do with the height at which it is. You can see all around. But also it’s really nicely made. It has been restored but it seems a really simple and clean construction. Click on the links to see the pictures…
Into the distance
A bit of snow
Guard tower
On the way down I almost got forced to by 2 T-shirts I glanced at. Two very persuasive women wouldn’t let me pass until I parted with my money. A bit further along they were selling them for less… typical! Still getting duped!
Really nice day, I think that clean, open space really helped clear the system and freshen me up.



Tags: , ,

6 responses to “Great? It’s an amazing wall!!”

  1. PJ says:

    Happy New doggie year to you too!
    I am so glad you are keeping this everyday, wonderful………..and yes, finally our shitty rooster year is gone, we love dogs!!! ( no of course not eating them………!)
    Yes, be careful with the Chinese, they can play a bit of rip off as they think you don’t understand nothing, and loaded! They do the same to Taiwanese too, so I know the feeling…….
    Good luck with the rest of Beijing…….

  2. Dad says:

    Looks very dramatic Tom – hope all is going well, and you are probably at the school by now.
    Mum says she has told you about talking to strange ladies!
    Take care and lots of luck with the course!
    Luv from M&D xx

  3. susan says:

    Dear Tom,

    Absolutely fantastic! I wish I could experience it too! Keep us posted on all your adventures…we can try to invision them with you.

    Happiest Dog Year to you too! May it be beautiful and prosperous.

    XO, susan

  4. dredger says:

    Hi Tom

    Looks very much wow and beautiful!

    Take care and i’ll keep veiwing

    dredge x

  5. Laura says:

    Hey Tom

    Wow Im so jealous of your travels! Keep up the daily bog…its gives me something to read when I get bored of talking to dancers and filling out budgets.

    Keep safe hun!

    Laura x

    P.S Hi to Pei-Jen and Vivi if you read this

  6. pat says:

    Hi Tom
    Just printed your latest amazing bulleting for the rest of the family in England to see and read. Pleased that I managed to print the pics too. Love all the detail you put intoyour writings – can almost join in with your experiences so far although I probably wouldn’t enjoy some of them ie dirty toilets and Sanda seem like something for special people only.
    Most interested in anything to do with Tai chi though and look forward to a nice long chat on that subject when you get back.
    Hope the scabs have healed up now.
    Take great care and keep the messages coming
    Much love
    Pat
    PS Thanks for reply received on my other email address.