BootsnAll Travel Network



Bon Bon Quest House

That’s where I’m staying in Phitsanulok. It’s supposed to be Guest House but I quite like it the way it is. I also like the large flaming man at the front desk who doesn’t speak much English but bounces around and waves his hands in the air a lot. What I don’t like so much at the moment is being completely exhausted after a seven-hour train ride, hungry, and gruuumpy. But like most things in life, this is nothing a good dinner and a hot shower can’t fix.

So the quest for the moment is food. And water. It’s really difficult to find things here in the so far charmless city of Phitsanulok. It’s all screeching birds, screeching children, and screeching motorbikes. Disgusting. Plus I’m still coming off a bout last night of what I think of as Incomunicado Anxiety. That’s when you’re two trillion miles away from home and it suddenly hits you that something may have happened that you don’t know about and have no way of finding out about. Not such a problem anymore but before email it was a real pain. Most of the time it’s the standard gossipy stuff but can take weirder forms, like when I was studying in Italy I developed this anxiety that William S Burroughs had died and I didn’t know about it. Because how would I know? Would anyone think to send me a letter about it? Would I see it in USA Today, if I read that? No. Anyway, it’s easier now with email and Internet and so forth but it hit last night.

Long story short, I’m not exactly in love with this trip right now. But on the upside, being alone in such an annoying, inaccessible-feeling place combined with having a pleasant room with a desk in it means that maybe I’ll actually get some work done. Assuming of course that I don’t starve to death first.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *