BootsnAll Travel Network



Ski country, snow sculpture contest

Last weekend we spent the whole weekend working on the house. We went to Lowe’s, installed a door bell and a ceiling fan, and cleaned. So this weekend was dedicated entirely to having fun. I started by attending the symphony with Carin on Friday, they were playing The Rite of Spring by Stravinsky which is her favorite and it was a really great show.
Saturday Dave and I got up at 5:00am and headed to the mountains. We had free lift tickets for Sol Vista, which a lot of people say ‘oh, that place is not very good, all the runs are easy’ which is perfect for us! Actually Dave is becoming quite a good skiier but between my bum knee and my extreme fear of going down hill at high rates of speed I stay on the baby slopes. We took the dogs with us, they relaxed while we skied and when we got done we took them on a nice snowshoe hike.
When we were done, we drove to Silverthorne where we had a cheap dog-friendly hotel room reserved. It was OK and was right next to a neat steakhouse called The Mint where they have a grill and you cook your own steak! It was fun.
Sunday, we drove the 10 miles from there into Breckenridge where they had just finished the International Snow Carving Competition. We got to check out all sculpures, it was amazing.

skires1.jpg
Looking down at Sol Vista ski area.

davewoody.jpg
Dave and Woody along the trail.

woodyaction.jpg
This is Woody’s ‘fresh powder’ action shot.

flowerice.jpg
Lily snow sculpture.

icehorse.jpg
Horse snow sculpture.

icehunter.jpg
This is the entry that took first place and I can see why. It was done by a team from China and is a traditional Chinese hunter. The detail is amazing.

meice.jpg
Some of the sponsor’s snow carvings you could goof around and pose with, so I’m tending the lemonade stand.

scenery.jpg
The view looking out over frozen Lake Dillon.



Tags:


One response to “Ski country, snow sculpture contest”

  1. brittany snow abs

    Thanks for the nice read, keep up the interesting posts..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *