BootsnAll Travel Network



Niagara Falls & Mt. Marcy

I had always wanted to visit Niagara Falls, and finally we got to. We splurged and did all the tourist attractions, saw the IMAX, went to the Canadian side, went on the Maid of the Mist boat ride, the whole enchilada. It was worth it, we had a great time.

Mt. Marcy was a different story. The Adirondak Park where Mt. Marcy is located is just beautiful. The leaves were turning and it was cold and rainy when we were there but that was perfect. The first night where we camped it was so dark it was spooky, I could really imagine a sasquatch living in those woods!

Anyway, we arrived at the trailhead to Mt. Marcy too late to hike the entire thing that day (it’s about 15 miles round trip) but early enough we wanted to do something. So we decided to backpack in half way, camp and summit the following day. Unfortunately we had no idea there are only two designated camp grounds along the trail, very near the beginning. So we passed them both and kept hiking until a ranger told us we had to turn around and hike 2 miles down to camp! We didn’t think that sounded fun so we put our packs beside the trail and went as fast as we could to the top. We got to the summit before dark, no problem but it got dark on us on our way down. We had headlamps, no big deal but we were worried about bears, apparently there is a lot of activity in the area. So we sang 99 bottles of beer on the wall the whole way down so the bears would know we were coming.
After we got to our packs we thought all would be well, but both our headlamps burnt out almost simultaneously on the way down. We ended up navigating the last mile to the campsite with a little LED light I keep on my keychain! Lucky we had that!!

niagara1.jpg

Wow.

niagara4.jpg

Double wow.

niagara2.jpg

It is just so cool.

niagara3.jpg

Did you know the first person to go over Niagara in a barrell was a 63 year old woman who took a cat in the barrell with her? Here I am with her barrell!

marcysummit.jpg

The summit of Mt. Marcy.

marcyview.jpg

The view from Mt. Marcy.

marcy hike.jpg

Along the trail.



Tags:

Comments are closed.