BootsnAll Travel Network



Denali National Park!!!

Denali was really cool, as you probably expect. We saw 4 bear, 4 moose, a wolf, a billion caribou, a billion dahl sheep, two golden eages and probably some other stuff I’ve forgotten about. Unfortunately I didn’t get pictures of any of them so you’ll just have to take my word on it, although I think Dave got some with his film camera. I did take lots of other pictures, though. We never did see Denali (Mt. McKinley) while we were in the national park, but we were lucky and it came out for us when we drove south to Denali State Park.

AK-denali1.jpg
Here’s Dave pretending to be a musher. They have a really cool sled dog program at Denali. After we saw those dogs we though maybe we could train up Molly but then we learned sled dogs usually retire around 8 years old. She’s too old. Also it turns out the Alaskan Husky is not an actual breed of dog. It is any dog in Alaska that can be coerced into pulling a sled!

AK-denali2.jpg
Dave and I hiking in the rain on top of Mt. Healy.

AK-denali3.jpg
I don’t know if you can see it, but one of the Dahl sheep is on that mountian.

AK-denali4.jpg
Beautiful views of the Alaska range, but not the big one.

AK-denali5.jpg
Dave climbing around on some rocks.

AK-denali6.jpg
We hiked along this river for a while, the views are just amazing.

AK-denali7.jpg
The ptarmigan, state bird of Alaska. There is a town in Alaska called ‘Chicken’. They wanted to name it Ptarmigan but no one in town could spell it!

AK-denali8.jpg
The best way to see Denali is by bike. They don’t allow private cars on the park road (90 miles long). You can take a shuttle bus which is fun, but on a bike you see so much more! Unfortunately it’s a lot scarier when you see bear and you are on a bike. Do bears like meals on wheels? We were a little worried, especially as close as they were!

AK-denali9.jpg
I don’t know if you can see very well in the photo, but that grass covered mound is actually a glacier, and the grey hole is where the ice has melted and formed a sink hole.



Tags:

Comments are closed.