BootsnAll Travel Network



Before we left for Japan

I have some photos that were taken here in Colorado before we left for Japan but never posted (ran out of time). Kenny and Heather came for a visit and we did some fun stuff, visited Garden of the Gods and took the train up Pike’s Peak (not to the summit, too windy, but most of the way).

I also took a few photos over Memorial Day weekend, we went for a camping trip in the mountains (Woody’s first camping trip). We have had an extremely rough winter here, a lot of our favorite dirt roads were still closed from excessive snow and avalanches over the winter. Even Independance Pass is still closed, which is a paved road that is normally open by now.

kh1.jpg

Dave, Heather, and Kenny beside the Pike’s Peak train.

kh2.jpg

The tracks leading up to the peak.

kh3.jpg

Kenny and Heather with ‘ship rock’ at Garden of the Gods.

kh4.jpg

A view of Pike’s from a distance.

camp1.jpg

Clear Creek Reservior…we really like this area. When you turn off the highway on to the dirt road there is the beautiful lake, then a free campground right by it. Down the dirt road a few miles is the trailhead to hike 3 14ers, Oxford, Belford, and Missouri. A few more miles down is a cool deserted mining town, a few more miles past that a deserted mine with a great slag pile I like to hunt minerals in. At the very end of the road is the trailhead to climb another 14er, Mt. Huron. Can’t pack much more fun in 10 miles of dirt road than that! Unfortunately there were two avalanches across the road this winter and one of them wiped out a building from the old mining town. What a bummer!



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *