BootsnAll Travel Network



Pre-Adventure Updates

Yesterday i finally got my Afghan visa! My first step towards kabul. My journey began in DC, Joy, my friend, took me to 2233 wisconsin ave, the Afghan Embassy. Unlike most embassy visits, which I have had LOTs of experience with, there were no long lines, there was not metal detector, just a small room, the size of my kitchen. In there sat a man behind a glass counter “approving” the visas. In the time I was there, I was one of two people applying for an Afghan visa. We exchanged pleasantries, and I returned the next day to pick it up…seamless.

I bought my tickets, and it turns out I am staying in Dubai over night. Because of my nationality, which apparently feeds on visas, I have had to get about 5 visas in order to make it to Afghanistan and back. So instead of getting a visa for Dubai, I decided to stay in the 5 star Dubai International Hotel. Though it is very expensive, it is worth it on two fronts: a) I forgoe the visa hassle, b) I get a place of comfort and respite before landing in Kabul…I might need it.

I have about four days before my flight so I am completing my shots and doing some last minute packing. I am quite excited.

Not sure what the internet situation will be in Kabul, but I’ll keep you posted.

Lingering thots: In the ‘lingering thot’ section which I will remember to insert in each post, I’ll let you know what has been lingering on my mind–if anything. My lingering thought is my arrival. My host is sending her driver to pick me up. When I meet the him, what do I do? What is the etiquette?…handshake is probably not appropriate… Do I sit in front? at the back? I know it sounds trivial but this is really important (i think). Well, I have four days to figure out the answer…



Tags:

One response to “Pre-Adventure Updates”

  1. Joy says:

    I am so excited for you and know that this will be one of many wonderful adventures for you! All the best

  2. olumide says:

    Yo! It worries me ….
    See website below. This should help.
    Enjoy yourself and you’d be in our prayers.

    http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/resources/global-etiquette/afghanistan.html

  3. Maureen says:

    Take good care, my friend. I look forward to your messages. This will truly be a wonderful experience for you! I will be thinking of you often.

  4. Kemi.A says:

    I know it’s wht u wnt and I believe u’d be fine by God’s grace.

  5. Helaine says:

    I Love You and I miss you.

  6. Adeola says:

    Hey – I know we’ve been conversing via email 😉 but I must say again that this is really cool.
    God be with you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *