BootsnAll Travel Network



More from Kabul

Hey all,
 It has been a while, I am trying to pace myself and write only twice a week. I think you were getting over loaded with the Kabul stories. So much has happened in the last few days. I have been here for a little over a week and it seems I have been here much longer. In that time I have experienced A LOT
Close call
I will be sending a blog in the coming days about my experience walking on the streets of Kabul. I took a walk some days ago and marveled at the number of uniformed and un-uniformed men with guns. These guns are really big too, almost like a message…probably a message.
Anyhow, yesterday we were almost taken out by one of these huge guns. My host and I went to see one of the old palace ruins. The road to the ruin was a windy uphill road, on one of those Kabul hills/mountains I love so much. As usual I brought out my camera taking all kinds of shots. Close to the mountain was a camp, and on it a military station, with a man (and his gun) waving at me. I figured he was saying “no taking pictures”. My host didn’t see this man, and we drove to the palace ruins. Apparently, in the last month it had been taken over by the military and the sign read, “Military zone. No taking pictures of surveillance, installations, or military personnel. Offenders will be detained”. I read the sign to my host who had not seen it and we had a discussion of what “installations” were. Meanwhile, I was contemplating jail time in Kabul prison, since offenders would be detained. While this was going on, I guess we had stayed on that parking spot for too long, because that waving military guy and another man came running at us with their guns! Oh my goodness, my heart was skipping, jumping, dancing, but I stayed calm. Fortunately, my host saw him and told the driver to keep moving. The driver moved slowly, I think to indicate that we meant no harm. As we proceeded down the windy road, two trucks, TWO TRUCKS, or military men were driving  up hill…I think they were coming to get us. We proceeded even slower as we passed them and made it safely AWAY from the situation. Wow, I thought my host and I need to be more careful.
There are lots of signs in Kabul that have a camera with a red sign across [no taking pictures]. Prior to this experience, my plan was to take a picture of a sign that says “no camera”…but after yesterday, I have aborted that mission.
My adventures continue….I will keep you posted.
 



Tags:

5 responses to “More from Kabul”

  1. Folu says:

    Girl, stay safe o! Anyhoo, i’m glad you doing well and venturing out. Keep up the updates :).

  2. Faith says:

    Sofry Sofry oh! But I know you Serah, you always remain calm in the face of adversity (and approaching armed gun men at that :)…Muzz and I miss you 🙁 Love you!

  3. Andress says:

    Girl:

    Now that’s the stuff that I’m talking about Serah. You have got to stay on your toes out there. These people will straight up shoot first and ask questions later. Kabul sounds like Port-au-Prince–shame, shame. At least there are no kidnappings. Anyhow, just make sure you keep your guard up to AMBER levels.

    Luv ya,
    Andress

  4. Joy says:

    darling Serah oh, make you take your time oh! Well I know that God is looking out for a knuckle head like you are! Enjoy Kabul and stay away from men with big guns!

  5. Nancy Klavans says:

    Serah- Oh my goodness. I remember you saying you told your family you had chosen the safer posting. Be safe. Thank you for taking this courageous asssignment.
    Nancy

  6. Helaine says:

    Serah, my dear darling,
    I am so immensely proud of you AND I look forward to when your biggest challenge is “crossing the street at the corner of Kennedy & Eliot Streets.”
    I Love You!!!!!!!
    Helaine

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *