BootsnAll Travel Network



First hour

It is my first hour in Kabul. International airports in developing countries are generally scary places. Kabul was no exception. I am grateful to my host for having someone to meet me. I really don’t know what I would have done without my “pick up person”.

Kabul is truly beautiful. From the plane and on ground, the horizon was traced by mountains…something about big hills, small sand dunes makes a place serene. However, once inside the airport, the chaos ensued. Officers with little ‘cup caps’ don’t make for a warm welcome. As one of two black women in the crowd, I think I got some interesting stares… In my slight discomfort, I thought the immigration officer gave me disapproving looks as he glanced from my passport to my face behind the glass wall. However, I didn’t let that discourage me. I’m here!!!!!

Driving thru Kabul reminded me of parts of Lagos. I saw ads for “renting generators”, I passed a cinema, a school with girls in all black long dresses and white headscarves. The presence of armed international forces and unarmed police officers was more than I expected.

I did not see one woman without the headscarf, however some still wear the full burka. My co-worker who received me at the airport told me that about 5 years ago, every woman was clad in a full burka. He also said Kabul has changed dramatically in the last 4 years.

I met 3 friends in the airport in Dubai as we transferred our luggage from Dubai to Ariana–our Kabul flight. Most of them did not cover their heads. However, the transformation began in the plane. Once the pilot announced that we touch down in Kabul in 15mins, the scarves came out. By the time we were in line, everyone was in proper form–heads covered. In Afghanistan, the women wear the head scarves loosely, not like in some other Muslim countries. I am thankful for that because it gets quite hot.

I am grateful to God that I made it to the beginning of my journey. On the last leg to Kabul, I wasn’t nervous anymore. In fact, I think that leg was one of my most comfortable emotional states. I am looking forward to seeing more of the city and to begin work with Aid Afghanistan, the non profit which I am interning with.

Till I have more to share, Khudaa aafiz (means good bye, literally translated as God protect you.



Tags:

-80 responses to “First hour”

  1. Biggs IJ says:

    It is quite a brave thing to do, quite selfless.But the grace of God is sufficient.

  2. Folu says:

    Hi Z,
    Glad you made it to Afghan in one piece! i’ll be keeping track of your movements. Take care girl!

  3. Victoria says:

    What wonderful reflections. I look forward to learning more through your journey. Take care and write often.

  4. Joy says:

    Dearest Serah,

    So excited that you’ve made it safely. I trust that this will be the beginning of a wonderful adventure and God will guide and protect you. Don’t forget my own scarves oh girl while you’re staring off into the gorgeous hills! Missing you crazy already and sending kisses!!!

  5. Helaine says:

    God Bless You, My Dear.
    Love, Helaine

  6. Joanne says:

    Hi Serah!! So glad to hear you made it to your destinatin. you were determined to go to Afghanistan and you made it! I am so proud of you. I can’t wait to hear of all your wonderful experiences

    Joanne

  7. girim says:

    hey girl! glad to hear that you got safely – stay safe and take care of yourself – tell them a big asian woman will take them down if anything happens to you 😉 love your blogs – you should publish a book from these blogs! it’ll be called: adventures of serah in afghanistan and then the sequel will be adventures of serah at KSG 😉

    miss you!
    girim

    p.s. don’t forget to sample the cuisine – i want descriptions!!

  8. Deacon Tunde says:

    Hello Sister Zainab,

    You are blessed in Jesus Name.

    Glad to read that you arrived safely. Our prayers are with you. Numbers 6:24-26. I am currently in Houston where I am writing you. May the good Lord be your shield and exceedingly great reward in Jesus name. Genesis 15:1

  9. Mercy says:

    Go mama Go!!! Z child…the makka clan (including Marcus) is sooo very happy for you, God will continue to guide and protect you. Ami! By the way, please call your father ASAP, he is on “standby.” 🙂 I am so very proud of you sis, you are quite the inspiration…stay well.

    Love,

    Fati

  10. Nancy Klav says:

    Just want to say how much I admire Your courage. You are already sharing wonderful details of what it’s like being in Kabul. Thank you. Nancy

  11. dennis says:

    Hi serah,
    I am glad you arrived in Kabul safely.You have certainly done a great job with the blogs.Also, make sure you learn some “pashtun”.I wonder whether they have “ice tea”?hmmmmm

    take care my sister and be blessed

  12. Faith says:

    Jaan Serah,

    Kific Habibi….. Ex 14:14. Love you!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *