BootsnAll Travel Network



Welcome to exotic Bali, Indonesia

Well, we made it to Indonesia. We arrived into Denpasar at around 9pm on Wednesday night and boy, we are certainly not in Oz anymore! It was a great ride from the airport seeing all of the temples, smelling the spicy Indonesian food, and seeing a huge crush of cars, people, and motorbikes spilling from everywhere! Oh yea, not quite in Asia yet but we’re getting close!

This is more the type of destination Jim and I normally look for in our travels. We enjoy a more third world experience with a more exotic lifestyle. I do have to say, it is STEAMY here. We’re almost right on the equator and hot hot hot is the word for it.

We had found a guest house named Hotel Sorga in lonely planet and then booked it on line and it was lovely. A series of buildings built almost like temples set around the pool and beautiful gardens.

Thursday we wandered all around the maze of backalleys that makes up Kuta and had our first massage for a whopping $7 USD. It was a fab way to rejuvinate after being really sore from our riding experience on Tuesday! We had a nice lunch and some pool time and spent more than we should have for dinner but it was this cool restaurant on the beach with big lounge pillows to eat at. Couldn’t resist.

Friday we headed out of Kuta to Ubud. We’d gotten a private taxi to take us up and were able to stop along the way at a batik school as well as an art school where we bought a dragon painting done by one of their students. They’re really talented kids and some looked as young as 7 or 8 years old.

In Ubud we are staying at Sarnia Cottages and it is amazing! We have a cottage with intricately carved wooden doors, a 4 poster bed and a huge veranda including breakfast for about $25USD/night. These are the sort of prices I like! For lunch Jim got the indonesian sampler tapas platter and everything we’ve tasted here is fantastic.

It’s rainy season in Bali so we’ve been caught in more than one torrential downpour but since it’s so darn hot here they’re actually really refreshing!

Tonight is a fire dance show and tomorrow we’re taking a full day mountain biking trip into the rice paddies and villages around Ubud to see a different side of things. Next post will probably be from the beach in Lovina on the north side of the island.

Cheers! J&R



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *