BootsnAll Travel Network



Last week in Oz

We had a very busy last few days in Australia while staying with our friend Sara and her husband Jason and son Cody. Sara and I met while both working for the same company about 6 years ago and even though she moved back home to Australia we’ve kept in touch. It was lovely to see a familiar face again after two months on the road.

Sara & Jason own the Wonga Beach Horse Rides just north of Mossman in tropical Queensland so in addition to seeing them we got to ride and play with their dogs, a good thing since being around our pets is one of the few things we miss about home (other than family & friends).

We got to their house on Friday afternoon and just spent a quiet evening. Saturday was spent on errands and running about and then Sunday, my 40th birthday was a busy day. We headed into Port Douglas for their markets in the morning and did some shopping, spent the afternoon in the pool, and went out for a very nice dinner in town that night.

Monday was a very fun day with Sara, Jim & I heading north to Cape Tribulation, in what is considered to be the worlds oldest rain forest and a world heritage site. We went through the Daintree center canopy walk, had a great lunch, and then did what they call jungle-surfing , what we had known previously as zip lining. They strap you into harnesses and you zip along the line between big trees in the forest. Very fun.

Tuesday was Sara’s birthday and Melbourne Cup day. We started the morning with a ride on the beach and in the surf with some of their horses and then had to get ready for the party! This horserace is known as the “race that stops the nation” and literally, almost no one works and everyone dresses up and goes out for elaborate luncheons. It was a ball and we met some of their friends as well. One of our favorite days in Australia, I’d have to say.

Wednesday we were up bright and early to drop off Sunflower, our hippie van, and head to the airport. Due to no inexpensive flights directly from Cairns to Bali we had to first fly 2 1/2 hrs back south to Sydney and then fly 6 1/4 hrs north to Bali. Not too bad though and certainly shorter than the flight over to this part of the world.
In retrospect, I’ve got to say that Australia still didn’t win any big piece of my heart. We had moments of brilliance within our 5weeks there – Sydney, Byron & Airlie Bay, camping with the locals at Carnia Gorge, and lots of fun with our friends, but I’m not sure I’ll head back anytime real soon. That said, it was much better than sitting at a desk at home! Not too tough being Jim and Rhonda these days!

Next post from Bali. Cheers



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *