BootsnAll Travel Network



The Final Pack

Ok, some of you asked for it! Here is a list of what we’re taking in our packs. We each of a Northface backpack and even though they feel really heavy after weighing them we find we each have around 30-35lbs. Most of you will think we’re crazy to travel with so little, while the other RTW travelers will think we’re crazy to take so much! So, here it is…
Jim has:

3 pair of long pants (2 zip off)

3 pairs of shorts + swim trunks

3 short sleeve shirts

3 long sleeve shirts (2 button up/ 1 tee shirt style)

4 pair travel undies + long underwear
3 pair socks

north face jacket/ liner + gloves & stocking cap

rainpants

a tilley hat for the sun, bandana, and pj bottoms.

Rhonda has:

1 pair zipoff pants & 1 pair long

3 pair capris

2 pair shorts

swimming suit

2 long sleeve buttonup shirts

1 long sleeve tee

3 tank tops

2 short sleeve shirts

4 pair travel undies + long underwear

2 pair socks

Northface jacket/ liner + gloves & stocking cap

rainpants

tilley hat for the sun, bandana, and pjs.

We’re both bringing 3 pairs of shoes – which is more than I’d hoped for but it just (for now anyway) seems the way to go. We each have a pair of light hikers (Merrill for Jim/ Salomon for me), we each have a pair of chaco sandals, and Jim has chaco thongs while I have keen slip ons for the beach, questionable showers, etc.

Then, of course the toiletries and misc. We, of course, have headlamps, locks for our backpacks, etc. and the typical toiletries although very pared down. We’re only taking very minimal makeup and toiletries & will just restock on the road.

We also both have a couple of books, our guide on New Zealand & Australia (Lonely Planet), copies of our confirmations for everything already figured out  and my journal and little black book for making sure we stay on our budget. Oh, and we also have a travel towel each and a small pillow.

Jim is taking the ipod and we got a duel system so we can each listen at a different volume level so I’ll still have some eardrums left when we return:)

That’s about it. 2 30lb backpacks and 2 10lb daypacks to hold everything we’ll be using for the next 12-15months. It seemed impossible to do while we were living in our house but since we’ve been basically living out of 1 suitcase and in between 5-6 different houses for the last 3 weeks we’re feeling a little bit like gypsies already.

In the coming months we’ll let you know how much of it we really keep carrying around and what we didn’t take and wish we had!



Tags:

One response to “The Final Pack”

  1. Pennie D says:

    I loved the lists! Great that you got a chance to live a bit minimalist and on the go for a couple of weeks before departure to grease the wheels, as it were.

    I’m so excited to be “traveling” with you, via blog, over these next exciting few months. My many wishes for your health, happiness and adventure!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *