BootsnAll Travel Network



Red Square Moscow

7yBXvp82X2gVlMeZe25DiM-2006198051115673.gif

Local police don’t allow anyone in Red Square until 10 in the morning so when Bob got there the Square was jaw-dropping empty…the Kremlin and Lenin’s Tomb on one side, Gum’s Department Store the other.

Gums, at one time a symbol of Soviet shopping with long queues and shelves empty of all but a few drab goods, now houses over 1000 shops like Timberland and Sony) staring at the Kremlin on the other side. At either end is a church…the glorious colors and shapes of St. Basil’s Cathedral created between 1555 and 1561 to celebrate Ivan the Terrible’s capture of the Tatar stronghold at one and the tiny Kazan Cathedral where we bought a tape of Orthodox music for 20 roubles (about 70 cents) at the other. What stories these old worn cobbles of Red Square whisper to us!

The scene is impressive and enduring. No capital since Ancient Rome was more calculated to project pure power than this square mile of buildings.



Tags: , , ,

2 responses to “Red Square Moscow”

  1. Jeff Hempe says:

    Dear Bob and Eunice,

    Thanks for your wonderful descriptions – hope you are enjoying the train ride. It’s hard to believe you have been traveling almost two months.

    Regards,

    Jeff Hempe

  2. Nondice says:

    Eunice and Bob,
    Really, you’re going to have to submit some of this to a travel magazine! I’m just now visiting the site since I’ve been at the coast for a few days, Bark in the Park this last weekend, etc. Where are you off to next? Still haven’t gotten together with Bobby. Take care!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *