BootsnAll Travel Network



Meeting My Cervix

Well, this is probably going to mortify my three boys, men now, (well, maybe not the one who is a doctor) but when I went to the gynecologist here in Oaxaca last week, I saw, for the first time ever, at the age of 64, my cervix!  Don’t know if all my previous doctors had seen it either, but it only seems fitting that I get to see it. Too see that tiny place inside my body that miraculously allowed three fully-formed human bodies to stubbornly push through to the light of day. Just before Mother’s Day.  In Oaxaca!

I walked into quite a large modern, newly built sparkly clean but comfortable room that contained an exam table and the large desk behind which sat my doctor. As I scanned the room the other contents barely registered.  She stood (!) and shook my hand.  Buenas dias! Como esta?  And then introduced herself.  I told her I was well and that I was referred to her by my dentist here.

In the states, when I saw my last gyn, the nurse put me in an exam room in which I waited for the doctor.  She disappeared as quickly as quickly as she appeared, although to be fair, the US doctor that delivered my last child and cared for me until he retired, was respectful and caring.

I love my female 65 year old gynecologist in Bangkok who always takes the time to chat with me about my life and how it is going…treating me sympathetically as a whole woman…not just a body.  But, especially since my last experience in the states was a disaster, now I needed a gynecologist here in Oaxaca. She was young…confident, outgoing and warm. This is going to be great, I thought.  Another thought flitted through my mind…I had the money to pay her well…I had no way of knowing how many of the locals could get this level of service…even if they went to a gynecologist at all.

The exam table was constructed with two short horizontal padded bars on each side over which I hung my legs at the knees.  OMG, I thought, no embarrassing and constricting foot stirrups! Especially since I don’t have a full bend in my right knee.  She explained carefully all that she was doing.  Then I noticed a TV monitor hanging from the ceiling above me.  And it slowly registered what I was seeing.  Oh my god, I exclaimed!  I can see it!  Yes, she said smiling.  That is your cervix and it looks very healthy. I suspect that the monitor has the added advantage of keeping your mind off the task at hand.  I walked out with a piece of paper with two color pictures…what I will do with it I don’t know. My husband chuckled when I burbled on about my recent experience. Hang it on the wall, he said dryly!  Right!

Then he suggested, doctor that he is, to put it on my blog…the story…not the pictures!  WTF, I thought!  Then I thought about it again.



Tags: , , ,

4 responses to “Meeting My Cervix”

  1. Eunice (Zoe) says:

    Had a cone biopsy…will get the results this wednesday. If I have to have a hysterectomy I’ll go back to the US so my insurance will cover it.

  2. P Diane says:

    Indeed interesting. Perhaps I will search for a good eye surgeon so I can get a second opinion once i have gone as far as I am able to here. There, though, I fear my insurance won’t cover treatment ao I woudl have to finance it myself.

  3. Eunice (Zoe) says:

    Why does this say posted from Australia when you are living in Thailand?

    Anyway, I can imagine where the land of Zuckerkundl is!

  4. RLG says:

    Congrats..
    & about time…
    next time, if there is any interest, could perhaps request meeting your organ of Zuckerkundl….
    Jing jing….

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *