BootsnAll Travel Network



Singapore and en route to Taipei

I had a reflective moment flying from Sydney to Singapore today; now I’m waiting for my transfer flight to Taipei. I heard and personally feel that your early thirties are the happiest compared to before. It’s a time when – if you allow the wind of change (how big the wind depends how big your unnecessary rut has grown) to flow through the house that is you – then the transition is much more smooth. For me, I came to accept the person that is me. Your strengths you can keep (keep the good quality furniture that you have accumulated) and your habits, behaviour, thought processes (the crap furniture given when you don’t want it or it’s broken or unnecessary) that are useless need to be transformed, chucked away or burnt to dust. I learnt that you are not your furniture. There are many shops and many types of furniture and you have the choice to change them whenever you want. If people don’t like your furniture or your place, they don’t have to come in. If they’re worth anything, they will respect your stuff the way it is and hang out. I know I’m rambling, I’ll stop now.

I believe the people you meet, scenes you have together all have a meaning and like I’ve said to some people already, if someone runs up to you and shouts ‘potato!’ and then runs off, that means something – scenes in life seem sometimes incomprehensible while it’s happening and you may never understand, but I have had many small ones recently. They made me think.

One such potato was I realised I’ve been self-absorbed. And yes, there needs to be a change soon, but maybe not while I’m travelling (still collecting potatos) because I’m allowing myself to self-reflect. That’s what travelling is mostly about for me, having new external stimulus impacting on you in ways you wish it to or ways you don’t expect it to and learning from them. I figure it’s like diving; I had to figure how the machine (any stimuli, be it person or experience) affects me first so I can handle myself, that the idea, skill, whatever, is coming from me and not influenced by someone else before I’m able to be any help to my buddy. I guess it’s a phase of self-reflection for me and I’m not going to apologise for that. Though being my friends, you can tell me to shut up and talk about something else (and I am capable of that) or you don’t have to read – I would understand.

Another potato was I realised how arrogant I can be.



Tags: , ,

0 responses to “Singapore and en route to Taipei”

  1. Tobias says:

    We’re almost in July and wondered if the BBC have let you know about Silent Witness yet? You have to let us know (unless I’ve missed it already, having trouble keeping up with all your notes!)

    You can’t change yourself – it happens or it doesn’t… those potatoes just add to the challenge of being Jessie-Maye’s pal! Besides, everyone has them.

    If you get the chance check out the film ‘Hard Candy’, little thriller about a 32 year old photographer meeting a 14 year old girl over the internet. I want the girl (actually 19) to play the girl in ‘Yacht’. The woman who produced ‘Creep’ and ‘The Cat’s Meow’ wants to meet to talk about ‘Yacht’… groovy.

    ps music vid’s finally done.. and took Seb’s suggestion at making sky more blue, looks good!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *