BootsnAll Travel Network



Luang Prabang and drums, cycling, motorbiking to waterfall and getting to Vientianne

It’s been quite crazy travelling from China overland to Laos. But here’s a quickie on where we stopped. We got our Laos visas at the border (Boten) UK citizens pay $35 and French citizens pay $30. Those from Sweden have it the sweetest at $31 and the Canadians get hit the hardest with $42! We went straight to Udomxai and stayed for a couple of nights; then to Nong Kiew staying 2 nights in a small cute hut by the river; then a boat to Luang Pradang. During this we met loads of great people. So much has happened but here’s just today.

Luang Pradang is covered with guesthouses and hotels; so many that we and the many friends we’ve met on the way can’t remember the name of. Two Israeli girls we met in Nong Kiew and here are staying in and have seen more than 3 guesthouses called ‘Pussy Guesthouse’. It’s baffling; I haven’t seen them. The night market here are great. The Laos really know how tourism work. Today, after having a fruit juice, Seb heard someone playing the drums. Seb has keen ears. Then he asked the woman who made the drinks where the drums were coming from and the three of us went searching. We got the door of this house. Two middle-aged women sat on the doorsteps. Seb played air drums and she led the way, into her house, through a large room and into a room of young boys playing keyboard, electric guitar and drums. Seb was soon on the drums drumming away. I’ve never heard him play and was quite impressed. The lady of the house offered us a cup of water. Not long after a good-looking teenager entered the room and the lady of house gestured that it was this boy who was learning. Seb then took the role of teacher and taught him a sequence. The teenager was a fast learner. It was a pretty cool experience. Here we were in a stranger’s house and Seb was playing and teaching a Laos boy how to play.

We wanted to rent a motorbike. In the heat and humidity; you can only go so far on a bicycle. Seb was up early and had rented a bicycle for $1 but after riding me on the back in the sun, we wanted a motorbike. The motorbike also allow for more distance and we wanted to go further. After asking around we found out that motorbikes were no longer rented out to tourists because one time someone got drunk, had an accident and made a scene so now it’s almost impossible to rent one in terms of renting stalls. Though there are individuals who would let you ride theirs at a cost. We found a guy who would rent us his motor for $20 who lowered it to $15. Later we found a guy who would rent it for $8. Our friends were going to visit a waterfall as part of a tour. We thought it would be fun to find this waterfall on the motorbike. It took us an hour straight and 40km to get there. The roads can get pretty bumpy and we had to ask a couple of times by making wave and water falling signals. The Loas woman in a village understood and managed to communicate with hand signals that to go straight, 4th road on the left. That was cool. We got there and saw our friends (I can’t spell their names), Seb swan, we hiked up to the top of this massive waterfall (I don’t know the name but all the tuk tuks and pick up taxis will offer to take you there) and yes it’s worth seeing.

We’re trying to figure out how to get to Siem Reap for the 31st Aug. We’re planning to go to Thailand before entering Cambodia. Actually I’m supposed to be researching prices, routes and forms of transport. We’ve booked a trip on a VIP bus (it has a toilet) for 8am tomorrow, a 8 hrs ride to Vientienne.

***

To Amy: All is cool. Melodramatic but just a story. The monks are friendly and when one passes you can’t help but feel good.

To Em: Good to hear that you’re keeping an eye on me.

To other travellers: My blog is for me and what a place means to me. Everything has different meanings to everyone. I try to add info that may be helpful especially when I couldn’t find it anywhere else but this is my blog diary, my meanings – for more ‘relevant’ info buy a lonely planet book.

***

Quote of the day
Who is too old to learn is too old to teach Thinkexist.com Quotations
Proverb.


Tags:

2 responses to “Luang Prabang and drums, cycling, motorbiking to waterfall and getting to Vientianne”

  1. Tobias says:

    Hey, still keeping an eye on the blog but realised it’s been a while since I said hi! So hello miss choo (Mac), seems to all be adventures for you.

    Is there a way to read all previous comments? I’ve noticed we can’t access them from older postings. I only mention as you referred to other travellers and now I’m curious to see what people who don’t know who are saying!

    It’s a few weeks off – but you wanted me to cover a class on the 9th. Just wanted to double check time and place etc. I think it was 3rd floor of the school (top floor), 12:30 (or is it 1:30) for an hour and a half. Plus, will that be the very first class of the year??

    Been doing a bit of a myspace thing these last few days. Got some films, latest showreel and the final version of the music promo up if you want to check it out!! http://www.myspace.com/tobiastobbell

    I know you still have a month but looking forward to your return so we can have a proper catch up. There’s a maye-gap in my life at the moment.

    Keep happy, stay safe, say hi to Seb and keep in touch.

  2. Amy says:

    J,

    When in Siem Reap, if you are going to try a ‘happy pizza’ dont go for the extra happy one, just a happy one. Also make sure you go back to your hotel room straight after eating it. I made the mistake of staying out!

    Whilst in Cambodia, if you get the chance to go and see the killing fields during the Democratic Kampuchea period. It is eerie but very interesting. Ankar Wat Temple is beautiful at sunrise. If you walk through the grounds you will see bits where Tomb Raider was filmed!

    Cambodia is a lovely country, you would love it there!

    take care of yourself.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *