BootsnAll Travel Network



Magnetic Island, my ear, my 9 hour trek to the chemist, the drama

My dear friends,

I’ve just read all your comments and I’m really chuffed. It’s good to know I am not alone after all and it was so good to hear from you. Thanks : )

After the drama of yesterday’s blog entry (I can be such a drama queen I know) I got into my trainers and went for a walk. Sebastian is 23 years old and from Hamburg, a cheerful guy and being a happy guy I was happy to have him walk with me. Him and Jose were so shocked about my age (they thought 22) that they both laughed for about 5 minutes when they found out, drunk with shock I’d say. Jose was packing so couldn’t join us. We walked and talked for an hour and then sat in front of the sea for another. It made me realise that just because the hostel provides you with sofas, the beach can be much better and the sea more soothing than a crackling TV. Though you’d be surprised how many are stuck there on the sofas. Before I went to bed, I asked for a top sheet as it was colder than the previous nights, and with a poorly ear, I was very keen to look after the rest of me a bit better. This guy who works behind the bar and have always been kind to me since I came gave me the top sheet for free, maybe he senses the hidden drama and that I needed some human kindness which I thought was very sweet. Like I said, the people who work here are really nice. One of the girls’, I don’t know her name, but I give her my voucher and she gives me food, and she always remembers my name and asks me about my diving – you know, such cool people. I’m going to get their names the next time I speak to them.

We couldn’t dive today either but Sebastian was determined to get his Open Water and he pushed to get his last dives done. My ear was the same so I mentioned it to Mardon who picked us up and he suggested that I got some Sudefed decongestion to unblock it and whilst unblocking, if it hurts, then I have an ear infection (the doctor at the chemist said) and will need to see a doctor.

The nearest chemist is at Nelly Bay close to the ferry. It took me 2 hours to walk there as Horseshoe Bay (where we are) is on the other side of the island. By the time I got to the chemist, my ear was getting better. But I thought I should the best I can for my ear and got the medicine just in case. For that particular medicine, I had to get a sign-off from the chemist behind the counter so he asked me some questions and was very helpful.

Now my hearing is back to normal and I’m feeling very healthy and so back to my cheerful self.

I walked over 30km today and it took me 9 hours at a leisurely pace, though I was zooming it at the end as it got dark and tree stumps start looking like people and sounds other than loud crickets and whooshing trees make me turn. There are stretches of road without light and tall tree branches waving about freaked me out a little. Luckily, my last walking trail was to the fort, a popular walk (the other less tame walk from Nelly Bay to Arcadia Bay, 5km one way, I saw not one single soul) so I had people behind me but at the entrance, some got into their cars and some waited for buses. I decided to walk. Then those wanting a bus decides to walk as well so I had company for part of the way. It’s best to walk towards cars coming your way. My cheap watch which I’m growing to love like my right arm has an LCD light so I flash it if I see a car coming my way and my small backpack has a whistle. I got back to the hostel at 7pm so it wasn’t that late, it’s just lighting in the area is only concentrated around houses, buildings and some sections of road. I find out Sebastian has passed his Open Water but he could hardly see his hand and saw only rocks when it was close to his face! The forecast for tomorrow is better so fingers crossed. I’m feeling better and somehow I feel that the sea and weather has been on my side, because without them, I may have carried on even with the ear problem.

The two German guys are gone and a girl called Dee from Ireland is my new roommate. She’s a cheerful person; I already like her. I’ve changed my bed so my feet are not facing the door. So, all is good and hopeful again.

It seems everyone is heading towards Cairns for more diving. I, on the other hand, am going the opposite way to everyone else. And it seems I’m doing the unthinkable – missing a dive to the Barrier Reef.

I’m going to stay the extra two days and I believe I’m going to get my Open Water and get to see the Yongala Wreck, which is one of the best dives ever and it is right smack in the middle of the Eastern Australian Current (in Finding Nemo, where the turtles spin and play!). Sorry, I can’t answer you individually, with 2 mins to go before the computer kicks me off, my last words for today:

I am very hopeful.

 

 



Tags:

One response to “Magnetic Island, my ear, my 9 hour trek to the chemist, the drama”

  1. Jimmy Lam says:

    Hi Maye, great to know that you are enjoying a good time in Australia. Please let me know when are you coming down to Sydney. You can call me on 0438090709. See you soon, Jimmy Lam

  2. Poyi says:

    hihihi,
    sounds a lots of up and down in your journey,
    but must be full of excitment!!
    hope you feel better and healthier after!!
    how’s ur diving course then? finally done?
    looking forward to seeing your blog entry again!!! and you will see my brother soon,
    he’s a bit quiet but his wife is a humorous person. should be fine, hope you will have a great time in australia!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *