BootsnAll Travel Network



Maggie Island and the dive, Maggie’s Beach House and the waves

I passed my theory and all the diving exercises in a pool. We tried to dive in the ocean today (we’ve got to do 4 altogether to pass) at Alma Bay but the waves were too choppy, we gave up.

Why I hanker on yesterday about looking after yourself first and being comfident with your machine first because I believe that if you can’t handle yourself and are not comfortable with the machine; you will be no use to your diving buddy.

My buddy is called Lorna and her boyfriend is called Will. Both are from Essex. I also got to know another diver called Jose, she’s from The Netherlands and she’s doing her Advanced at Pleasure Divers. And according to others I have spoken to here; not many like it here at Maggie’s Beach House. The complaints are: more expensive than other hostels but no improvement (I’m on a package so it doesn’t apply to me as such); the rooms are ‘like prisons (there’s a bed with clean linen so I’m happy – easily pleased it seems); internet and everything expensive (internet is $6 for an hour); you have to pay for a top blanket (luckily I have my big coat so it doubles up as a coat – of course – and a top sheet as well so I’m okay); and the noise. I personally think it’s the atmosphere; not conducive to happy thoughts it seems and anyway, I have no choice, I’m here til Friday night.

I’ve come to the conclusion that a good diving teacher is someone who is friendly, approachable and not only can teach students the required steps to safe diving but most importantly, I feel, recognise that people who are not savy at it, should be openly explaining anything anyone comments about. For instance, yesterday, I was cold and my fingers had pins and needles which I took as I haven’t moved it enough so I’m weeshing it around. Today, Dave (a very good teacher) explains to me if I feel that it’s the very beginning of hypothermia, it’s your body telling you that you’re cold. Well, I knew I was cold but it’s good to know before you become dangerously cold. A good teacher also can recognise if you are cold (and he did and he made sure I had more layers on today but unfortunately my suit had holes on the butt and knee area so at one point water seeped throught) they should at least say they know you’re cold, and would you like to swim around the pool, have a hot drink or something so you don’t get dangerously cold. If any part of your body is doing something or feeling not normal; mention it and a good teacher will be able to reassure you that it’s normal or be able to leviate the problem.

Anyway, enough of caution, at least now I feel I can confidently float under water, swim laps under water, run out of air and use my buddy’s air supply, know how to put my machine on and synchronise with it. Yep, sirry, I’m ready for the ocean, a less vigorous one maybe but I’m ready! And I’ve got a diving buddy I trust and I’ve met another adventurous friend who is also into diving as well so things are happy on this end, be sure : )

PS I get all your comments via email so I do get to read them all and I do try to answer. So please comment and let me know you’re reading : ) It’s just nice to know, even if it’s just a smiley face, thanks.



Tags: ,

One response to “Maggie Island and the dive, Maggie’s Beach House and the waves”

  1. Amy says:

    Diving is great, shame your first time the sea was choppy. I went out on choppy sea once and threw up my breakfast and was sick for the rest of the day! nice thought eh!

    good to hear your having fun x

  2. Emma says:

    Yay! Does this mean you’ll get to see some fishies? Remember to look out for them whilst you are doing all your technical keeping yourself alive machine stuff…

    The first time I took Viv snorkling my little cousin Laura came with us, she was around 6 or 7 at the time. She was a real wizz scotting around everywhere and offering to save Viv when he got scared of the deep bits! For hours we just saw this little bottom sticking out of the water and lots of splashing from her flippers as she charged around. When she finally emerged we asked if she liked looking at the fish and she said ‘ what fish?’… she had been too busy enjoying the snorkling she forgot to look at them 🙂

    Have fun,
    Em
    x

  3. Nick says:

    don’t get hypothermia. i’ve had it before and it’s even less fun than it sounds.

    http://www.hypothermia.org/hypothermia.htm

    nick xx

  4. admin says:

    Thanks guys for reading and commenting : )

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *