BootsnAll Travel Network



Chilling in Zacatecas

Day: 7
We awoke in the charming colonial city of Zacatecas to the sound of church bells and whistles of birds. Well that´s only half true, sounds of people yelling and noisy advertising blasting from atop cars helped get us out of bed. Welcome to morning in Mexico. We didn´t mind the wake up call as we were due to catch a van to the remote desert ruins of Le Quemada.
Jordana and I had great sleeps in the cool night air. Zacatecas sits at 2500m and the night temperature drops to near freezing. Once again we grabbed a quick breakfast from a bakery. We are learning that this is a great way to save money and the sweets are really great. We brought our food back to the hostel, grabbed our free coffee and ate on the roof top overlooking the city. We must have one of the best views in town, set behind the huge cathedral.

After breakfast we were driven the 45 km out into the high desert to the to the ruins. It´s thought the ruins were Aztec, however it still remains unclear exactly who built them. What is known is the city was inhabited from AD300-1200 and peaked around AD500 with a population of 15,000. The ruins sit on a large hillside with a citadel on the highest point. Along the way is the dramatic ¨Hall of Columns¨, several pillars standing which were thought to have held the largest roofed structure in the Americas at the time. Also a ball court and 2 large pyramids make up the site. We climbed the ruins in the midday heat, with little breeze to the highest point. It was well worth the effort, it´s an impressive site and the surrounding countryside filled with cacti and little else. It has a stark, silent beauty to it. With the cloudless sky, lack of wind and the seemingly never-ending desert plateau, it was a time to be reminded of how small we really are on earth.

After returning to the city we bought some tortilla chips and salsa. Then found a bench in one of Zacatecas´ beautiful, busy plazas. We ate and watched life go by in this gorgeous UNSECO protected city.



Tags: ,

4 responses to “Chilling in Zacatecas”

  1. Frankie A says:

    Sounds like an amazing place to be! I envy the both of for going on this journey!!

  2. Alex says:

    One week in and you’ve already experienced quite a bit. I can’t imagine the tales you will have to tell when the year is up. I’ll feel silly going on my one week vacations and telling others about it forever again, lol.

    Great writing, too, Mike. You really paint a picture of what you see, and what it’s like to be there. Careful not to hurt your back from riding the bus so much.

    Cheers!

  3. Neil (nobodybeatsthewiz) says:

    Hey Mike & Jordana!

    So jealous….Can’t wait to read entries as you make your way more and more south, then east. Keep the post cards coming RPB-way whenever you can.

    Take care, see you guys in a year or so when you can take over the tailgates with some crazy stories,

    Neil.

  4. Canadian Blue (Scott) says:

    Hey Guys,

    I am glad to hear about someone doing something I have always want to do myself. have a great time and remember to take in all the culture you can handle.

    You are both lucky to have such a great travelling partner.

    Scott

Leave a Reply