BootsnAll Travel Network



The Real Mexico?

Day: 8
Today was one of those days traveling I´ll look back on with fond memories. Not because we saw some jaw dropping ruins or had a so called once in a lifetime experience. None of that today, but we spent the day wandering a beautiful colonial Mexican city with barely another foreign tourist in sight. A city that I had never heard of before researching this trip.
Now the problem with a day like this is that it does´t exactly give me tons of interesting material for the blog.

We spent the day wandering Zacatecas, moving from parks to plazas. Watching amazing fountains and then tucking into a trendy cafe for some freshly squeezed juice. Once we got bored of being lazy we headed for the Eden mine. A silver, gold, copper, and zinc mine that was in use from 1586 to 1966. That´s quite a run. Silver is the main reason the Spanish came to Zacatecas and subsequently built the beautiful city we see today. However, while the Spanish collected wealth and built a glorious city the local indigenous people paid dearly. At one time up to 5 people a day died from disease or accident in the mine and many workers were children. That was then and this is now, and now part of the mine is a trendy nightclub. Getting drunk is a great way to forget the horrors of the past. Unfortunately the club is only open on weekends so we missed out.

This is our last night in Zacatecas, as we are due to catch a bus in the morning to Guadalajara. I´ll really miss this small yet cosmopolitan city. It´s brilliant buildings, ideal climate and friendly people made for a great stay. This is the Mexico I hoped we would discover. After only a few days here I´m feeling more excited than ever to explore the rest of the country.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply