BootsnAll Travel Network



The Italian Finale!

I’m ready to come home, but still very eager to relax and enjoy my last 18 days in Italy. It’s really the perfect place for me to end my journey.

I’m leaving Nice this morning and will spend the afternoon in Genova, before heading to Asti to visit my cousin Ivonne, who I met for the first time earlier in this trip when I was in Venice. I’ll spend the weekend with her, then head to Viareggio and Lucca, where I will spend two nights couchsurfing, (although I learned today that Couchsurfing is no more, which is very sad news indeed.) Thankfully, I have the phone number of the person who agreed to host me, so I will call her today to firm things up. After this, I will head to Florence, one of my most favorite cities. I’ll be meeting up with family here as well — aunt, uncles, cousins, and my brother and sister-in-law — and we will all travel together to a villa for our own week under the Tuscan sun. Finally, I’ll spend a few days alone in Rome to wrap things up.

It’s incredible that the end is in sight. I’m in awe that I actually did this! I am so happy to have this special time with my family at the end, although I am also really looking forward to the touchdown at Newark Airport, where I will see my parents, who promised we can go to a real New Jersey diner for dinner!! I also look forward to many phone calls with friends and plans to meet up this summer.

I’m more sure than ever that travel will continue to be an integral part of my life, but this trip has also taught me that I do indeed cherish the concept and comforts of what it means to have a home…a place in this world to call my own…and I look forward to making one for myself in the weeks and months to come. So many people opened their homes to me on this journey, and I look forward to creating my own place with an open door as well. (Just don’t ask me yet exactly where that place will be, although I have some ideas brewing…)

Soooo, this is probably my last post until Rome or when I return to the states…so Happy July, Happy Fourth and many happy days…always!

Tags: , , , , ,



8 Responses to “The Italian Finale!”

  1. Laura Says:

    Good luck with your trip’s finale, Kelly. You are awesome!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Heather Says:

    Have a wonderful last 18 days! I admire you for stepping into the unknown. Safe return and I look forward to talking with you and seeing some more pictures!

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Joao Says:

    Hi there.

    I saw the comments in flickr and I hope you’re cheering for Portugal!

    We’re playing today, @4pm GMT, against the UK. The referee gave us a pretty hard time last game so we’re playing almost with our spare team. The icing on the cake is that last time we played the UK our goalkeeper played with no gloves and even him scored a goal! The UK must be foaming at the mouth. Eh Eh.

    It’ll be a great game.

    Hope these last few days be as enjoyable as the last 5 months. Remember to revisit us back here in Portugal!

    Joao Santos

  6. Posted from Portugal Portugal
  7. Catherine Says:

    AND we are ready to have you home too!! Can’t wait to see you …..but I do wish I could be there with you in Toscana!
    Love , Aunt C.

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. Kelly Says:

    Thanks for all the comments everyone…

    Laura and Heather, Ill def be in touch when I am on my way to visit Baltimore.

    Joao, I am hoping for an Italia vs. Portugal final…and may the best team win!!

    Aunt Cath…Im savoring my last days in Italy and practicing my Italian too!!

  10. John Meyer Says:

    Kelly-

    Enjoy the last couple weeks-it’s been great keeping up on your travels and adventures!

  11. Posted from United States United States
  12. hillary rodham clinton birthday Says:

    hillary rodham clinton birthday

    SomegifttoME 625011 hillary rodham clinton birthday co

  13. Posted from Italy Italy
  14. free internet word game Says:

    free internet word game

    Information source about free internet word game.

  15. Posted from United States United States