BootsnAll Travel Network



Sintra, Cascais and more

Yesterday I ventured outside the city walls, on a day trip to the medieval village of Sintra, about 40 minutes west of Lisbon by train. There are several castles there, including the magestic Palacio de Pena . It was a long climb to the top, but I decided to do it, and was joined by a French university student, Colombe, who was walking uphill as well. She was very nice, here in Lisbon for the weekend doing research on teh city for school, and we chatted between huffs and puffs as we climbed. The view at the top was spectacular, and we watched the sky go from clear to cloudy as rain approached. After a late lunch back in town (ham and cheese never tasted so good!), Colombe and I split ways and I headed on to the Sintra Municipal Library, a newly renovated one that I had read about before arriving in Portugal. I tried to get on the computer there, but the place was packed, so I justed looked around, checked out their art exhibit and headed back to the train station as the wind and rain picked up. I decided to return to Lisbon via Cascais, which is south of Sintra on the ocean, so I waited for a bus that would take me the 30 minutes to the ocean front town. I got there as dusk arrived, but just in time to see the Atlantic, hear the waves and wander along the waterside shops for a bit. I learned later that the better ocean view is really at Cabo de Roca, but I´ll have to see that on a return visit.

I returned to Lisbon last night in time to rendevous with my latest pals, who I actually met on Friday but did not get a chance to write about yet. Estelle is from Paris, and is my hostel dorm bunk mate. I met her when she arrived Friday afternoon. Earlier that day, I had asked Katrina to take my photo at the Castelo do Sao Jorge, and ten minutes later we had plans for dinner. She and her friend Jenny are from Germany, but are studying in Malaga, Spain right now. So, Friday night the three of us — me, Estelle and Katrina — had dinner together and made new friends while we ate with the four Portuguese university students seated next to us. Duarte, Joao, Filipe and Carlos helped us decipher the menu, order our meals and treated us to some beers and an after dinner drink that only Katrina was brave enough to try, called bagaço. (Don´t ask me how to pronounce this, or many of the Portuguese words I´ve been introduced to this week!) After dinner on Friday, the guys showed us around Barrio Alto for a bit, the neighborhood where all the nightlife is. The bar we went to was “tasca” meaning inexpensive, so it was very crowded and we didn´t last long, but it was a remarkably fun night that we shall all remember for a long time.

So, getting back to Saturday, last night Estelle, Katrina and I had a quick, unplanned dinner again at the place I had eaten my first night here. It was fun to walk in there again and have the owner wave to me, he remembered the funny American girl who was back! They treat us really well there, and are very friendly. It was a nice chance to catch up again and trade stories about our adventures from the day, but since mine wore me out so much I was off to bed and asleep early last night.

I´m off to visit several museums today…the hostel should be quiet tonight so I hope to have time to write again one more time tonight or tomorrow before I leave here. I´ll respond to your comments and emails then, thanks again for visiting!!!

Tags: , , , ,



2 Responses to “Sintra, Cascais and more”

  1. Denise Says:

    You certainly are making the most of your time! I feel more “cultured” simply by reading your tales! I can’t say it enough – I am so proud of you! I know you know what I mean when I say that – thinking back to our first days together!!! : )
    So glad to be traveling along with you!!!
    What’s your next stop?

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. wolf moon picture Says:

    wolf moon picture

    SomegifttoME 578986 Latest wolf moon picture news