BootsnAll Travel Network



Language Lessons

I returned to Madrid last night after a week in the wonderful village of La Alberca, located about an hour west of Salamanca, Spain. I was participating in the Pueblo Ingles language immersion program, an intensive English-language experience to help Spaniards become better conversational English speakers. It was a wonderful week of learning about language, culture, food and yet another magnificent region of Spain. We went into the village of La Alberca a few times for shopping, meals and a short walking tour. One afternoon during siesta time a few of us visited the breathtaking Peña de Francia, a magnificent summit that is home to a former monestary. The 40 or so program participants (half English-speakers/half Spaniards) spent seven days together, sharing excellent food, wine, conversation and loads of laughs…resulting in some amazing new friendships that I hope last a lifetime. Actually, I have plans to meet up with a few of my new Spanish friends in Madrid this evening for some live music. I hope we are able to spend just a bit more time together before I head out of town in a few days.

In other news, I´ve now got a new traveling partner with me! My good pal Christina (aka CJ) arrived in Madrid two nights ago and will be traveling with me for the next two months. I´m quite happy to have her along for this next leg of the journey I can hardly believe that I´m on day 31 of my travels — one month is officially over, four more to go! When CJ and I finally met up last night, we headed straight to the first Irish pub we could find to share a beer, honor St. Pat´s Day and began to plan our adventures.

It is rainy here today but we hope the weather improves for tomorrow, we want to explore the world famous Sunday market, El Rastro and visit at least one of the big three museums, probably the Prado, which is free tomorrow and open until 8 pm. I know we will only be able to scratch the surface of the massive collection it offers, but we will try our best, and hopefully fit in mass in Spanish and some tapas too.

On Monday morning we will head to Barcelona by train, about a 5 hour train ride. No accommodation booked yet for there, but we are working on it…any suggestions?

Tags: ,



4 Responses to “Language Lessons”

  1. Aunt C. Says:

    Welcome Back! I missed your company………….keep having fun.
    Hugs!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Lost in Place » Blog Archive » Two Month Mark Says:

    […] Yesterday CJ and I celebrated a low-key and peaceful Easter Sunday. We also celebrated milestones in our journey. It’s been one month since she landed in Madrid, and it’s been two months since I touched down in Portugal! Back in mid-February, I was wandering through the Alfama and sharing drinks with university students in Lisbon, and one month ago in mid-March I was nestled away in the mountains of Spain making friendships that I hope last a lifetime, while also learning lots about Spanish culture and language. And now I’ve arrived in Prague…Wow. I’m one lucky lady. Somebody pinch me. Is this for real? Actually, somebody hug me too, okay? […]

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. congressman joe barton Says:

    congressman joe barton

    SomegifttoME 508584 congressman joe barton intro

  6. Posted from Hong Kong Hong Kong
  7. music ytmnd Says:

    music ytmnd

    SomegifttoME 508584 Latest music ytmnd news

  8. Posted from Poland Poland