BootsnAll Travel Network



Juror #9

After living in Baltimore City for seven years, I was unsure why I’d never been called for jury duty. Probably because I lived at four different city addresses in that time. But they finally caught up with me, right before getting ready to leave town, and I was summoned to report today.

It was an interesting experience — I had flashbacks to my college polisci days, and got a much-needed refresher on our judicial system. Before doing roll call in the morning, they show a video with Perry Mason clips and a timeline outlining the history of judicial procedure, beginning with ancient Greece, and then European “trial by ordeal” practices like this: tie a man’s hands with rope and put him in the water — if he drowns, he is guilty. Done.

Things have gotten a bit more complicated since then…It was a loooooooong day.

My summons number was 265, and right before lunch I got called to a jury selection. I had a feeling I was going to get picked. I was right. After lunch, and numerous rounds of questioning with the judge, I was one of the first to go up in front of the attorneys, for a murder trial. I was selected as juror #9. My heart was racing for some reason, excited/nervous/worried that I really had to be at work tomorrow. But then, after all 12 jurors were picked, the judge asked the attorneys if they were satisfied with the final jury before them, and the lawyer for the defendant replied, “No your honor, strike juror #9.”

Just like that, he axed me and I was asked to step down. Someone suggested that maybe there were already too many white females on the jury — there were two others with me, but why was I the one they didn’t want anymore? Who knows, no biggie, but it was fascinating to watch it all unfold. As much as I was curious to see what would happen next, I really couldn’t afford to miss work tomorrow. But I am glad I was able to fulfill my civic duty before leaving town.

I was shocked that they give each juror $15 (!!) for lunch/transportation, I thought that was a nice amount, maybe too much? I did get to finish a book today, one I had started back in early September, so that was a major accomplishment. It was nice to be away from email/cell phone for an entire day, and a pleasant surprise to be able to eat lunch outside too.

Tags: , ,



5 Responses to “Juror #9”

  1. seadragon Says:

    $15 is not at all too much if you drive there and have to park nearby. I’m pretty sure that parking alone was about $15 in the area for being there during regular work hours. Adding lunch on top of that made it more than $15.

    But it was still interesting to go. I remember that video with the drowning person! You know, I haven’t looked into this at all, but I wonder how prevalent that really was. I can’t imagine people typically threw people into the water to see if they’d drown – you’d think logic would have told them this wouldn’t work. I really don’t know though… maybe superstition really was that strong? Growing up in MA, I remember hearing that this used to happen during the the Salem Witch Trials. But I assumed it was only for people who they thought were witches and therefore had special powers that had to be exposed through things like tossing them in the water while bound.

    Anyway, you probably don’t know the answers. I’m just thinking out loud. 🙂

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. admin Says:

    I forgot about parking (since I took the bus there and Hopkins shuttle home) but I think they said there was one lot where they offered a discounted $5 rate (don’t quote me on that). Taking parking into consideration, I guess $20 would be better, especially if there was no special lot. I was maily thinking of food…

    I also forgot that you did jury not too long ago yourself…I should have read up on your experience before I went! As far as the drowning thing, it seemed a bit far-fetched, but I think if we did our research we might find some valid info…and you know, we both have soooo much free time on our hands these days to do unnecessary research like that 🙂

  4. Bre Says:

    When I lived in the city I was called to jury duty 4 times. One of those four times my summons number was 001 and not only was I chosen to sit on a domestic violence case I was also the foreman. Thank goodness by the time we returned from lunch the case was settled. I was so worried about being the foreman that I couldn’t enjoy my free lunch.

    Also, I always had someone drop me off at the courthouse in the morning and used the remainder of the jury duty money to take the bus home.

  5. Posted from United States United States
  6. Russ Says:

    $15!!!?? I never got paid when I went in CT or here in CA.

    It’s a little different here in CA. They bring about 40 people into the courtroom and ask a bunch of general questions and describe the case. The judge just asks if anyone feels that what they just heard would affect their ability to be unbiased. Then after that, they fill up the jury box and the rest of the people just stay in the back. They go through the people in the jury box, ask their names and what part of the city they live in. And as they throw people out they just keep refilling the jury box until they have their jury.

    Anyway, when I was in there they asked my name and what part of the city I lived. I told them, and just like that, they sent me home. It is very interesting how they get rid of people for no apparent reason. We were guessing that they got rid of me because the community I live is a stereotypical young person’s place with a bunch of bars near the beach, and the case was a domestic dispute case. We were guessing that the incident probably happened in my area, and they figured I’d be biased. Oh well…

  7. Posted from United States United States
  8. admin Says:

    Bre– I can’t believe you got 001! I agree you were lucky not to have to lead the jury on that. It is a big responsibility.

    Russ — Interesting that geography got you off the hook, they didn’t ask us any questions about that, but did tell us where the crime took place and if anyone had heard about it.

  9. seadragon Says:

    Guess what. I just got called for jury duty.

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. admin Says:

    No way! But you have already had it in the past twelve months right? You should be able to get out of it because of that — it is one of the questions they ask early in the morning, if I remember correctly.

  12. Posted from United States United States