BootsnAll Travel Network



Getting lost and making friends

I spent yesterday evening wandering around Chiado, Baxia and some of the other neighborhoods that make up Lisbons downtown. I was definetly nervous to pick my first place to eat, so I kept walking until the hunger head spins started around 7 pm. I wound up back very close to my hostel at a small place right off the Largo do Carmo plaza where I had used the phone to call home earlier. Leitaria Academia was, appropriately enough, packed with university students enjoying some cervezas. It is a small place, but the students were tucked in a back corner room so I ordered one of the plates of the day and sat at a table in the main room. I knew when I selected Perma de Porco Assada that I was getting pork, but had no clue how it would be served. It came sliced, with salad, rice, french fries and bread. I ordered a glass of white wine and a cafe con leite after I was all done, the entire bill came to 7.90 euros, and I left the kind woman who served me a 2 euro tip since she was very accomodating and knew I was a bit nervous about all this…

But it worked out perfectly, just as I had hoped – by selecting one of these small eatieries off the main Rossio (which is beautiful but more touristy and busy), I was able to interact with locals from town. I found the courage to ask the university students, “Fala Ingles?” and the rest was history…they sat at my table with me, sang songs and invited me to join them for dinner at another location. (Of course, I had eaten dinner much earlier than most Portuguese do.) So I went with them, although I did not eat again, I did get great tips on how to order and where to go. They bought me my first Portuguese beer, a Sagres, which I drank while talking with thiem about school, New York, language, traveling and architecture, which is what they are all studying. Two of them, Rodrigo and Jose, knew english very well, but all of them knew enough to get by chatting for a few minutes or more…Saul, Carolina, Raquel, Fabiana, Natu, Rosario and Renato was so much fun, and I enjoyed their company and hospitality until I departed for sleep around 10 pm. They were all round 18-19 (drinking age is 16 in Portugal) and full of energy, but my jet lag (and age) caught up with me and I was ready for a good snooze, which is exatly what I got. It was such a memorable first evening in town…

Not sure where today will take me, but Iºm headed out soon to find out…I think a walking tour first…

Tags: , , ,



13 Responses to “Getting lost and making friends”

  1. Rebecca Says:

    Yeah Kelly! I’m so thrilled to be visiting right along with you! I am so proud of you! I can just picture you asking your new friends if they spoke English! Enjoy this memorable time….and snag a cute boy while you’re at it…I’m just sayin’, it’s bound to happen – you ARE a beautiful American girl, you know….

    Love you!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Francesca Says:

    Yay!! What an awesome first day 🙂

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Denise Says:

    I am so proud of you!! You didn’t give into your nerves and had a fantastic “welcome to your excursion!” I love that you were the “old lady” of the bunch! I have a feeling that this trip will certainly change that perspective – especially after hanging out with all these youngsters!!
    Love you honey! Denise : )

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. seadragon Says:

    “I found the courage to ask the university students, “Fala Ingles?” and the rest was history…they sat at my table with me, sang songs and invited me to join them for dinner at another location.”

    You’re so brave! Of course, it’s exactly what you need to do to interact with people, but it can be really hard to strike up those conversations. How great that you have already started this on your first night there!

    (And yay, I’m loving your current tendency to update your blog frequently!)

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. seadragon Says:

    Oh, and by the way, don’t underestimate the power of jet lag. You’re not THAT old. 🙂

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. admin Says:

    Thanks for stopping by ladies…RAW, these students were 18! A bit too young for love, but their energy and enthusiasm was contagious for sure. It´s 5 pm and this old lady is off for a nap…Iºve got 9 pm dinner plans with two german girls I met today…I´m finding that is not hard at all to meet people when traveling alone…maybe even a bit easier perhaps, once the courage is there…

  12. Posted from Portugal Portugal
  13. steph Says:

    OH WOW!! You are going to have the time of your life!! This is so great 🙂 I’m so proud of you Kel….it’s so cool…when you post your reply it says “Portugal” with the little national flag. You’re really there!! hahaha 🙂 Enjoy! Love you!!

  14. Posted from United States United States
  15. Aunt Catherine Says:

    Kel, you are making me remember my first few years in Italy!!!
    It sounds great. And yes, it takes courage to approach strangers, but that certainly is the way to meet people.
    So glad you are sending emails and blogging….I feel like I am there with you! Love you, Aunt C

  16. Posted from United States United States
  17. Beth Says:

    Way to go Kelly! I love reading all about it!

  18. Posted from China China
  19. Danny Boy Says:

    good to hear from ya Kel… coincidentially I was watching a travel show on Port. and was wondering if you had eaten any codfish yet. It seemed from the show that they eat it at every meal. Also, they eat every part of pigs and cows, so let us know how how far you are pushing the bounds of your cuisune choices.

    lots of love…

  20. Posted from United States United States
  21. Kelly Says:

    Dan — no codfish or adventurous meat selections yet…we shall see what the next city should bring…don´t place big money on it just yet.

  22. Posted from Portugal Portugal
  23. Joao Says:

    Are you serious? Hasn’t anyone here tasted codfish? I had no ideia it was an european thing 🙂 Here in Portugal we have 100’s of codfish recipes! Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá, Bacalhau à Lagareiro, Bacalhau à Zé do Pipo, Bacalhau à Braz, Bacalhau com natas, Bacalhau assado, Roupa Velha (it’s a christmas special) and the list goes on and on. We’ve been eating codfish (Bacalhau) since 1497 (which we fished near Canada!)

    Kelly, you’ve got to taste some, it would be a crime not to! Happy fishing 😉

  24. Posted from Portugal Portugal
  25. Anonymous Says:

    Home Insurance

    transferable perusers?mutilating proposals

  26. Posted from China China