BootsnAll Travel Network



From Rome to Home!

Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalks again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.

– Jack Kerouac

My backback is only slightly battered, but my feet are in need of some major TLC. The end of this part of the journey is near, but I’ve worked my legs to the bitter end here, conquering Rome the best I can in the past three days. I’ve seen much more than I thought I would, and it has been wonderful — I can’t think of a better city in which to end this journey and said Ciao to Europe – for now 🙂

I just checked my flights online and status seems okay. Tomorrow will be a long day…Rome to London, then to New Jersey, USA! I won’t really have time to explore London at all, but that is already on the list for the next visit (along with Scotland, right mom?)

For now, I will savour my last hours in Italy, my home for the past 17 days (plus a few more weeks earlier in the trip). This second visit to Italy has been just as incredible as the first. I spent time with my Italian cousin Ivonne in Asti, then visited Lucca and Pisa before heading to Florence for a few days. After that, it was a week in Tuscany with my American cousins, aunts and uncles, and my brother and sister-in-law too…it was so wonderful to see them all. We visited Siena, San Giminano, Pienza and Montalcino. And we all watched Italy’s World Cup win while secluded at our Tuscan villa! I said goodbye to all the fam on Saturday, and have spent the past three days solo for one last time on the trip…exploring Rome alone and just taking it all in — the chaos, madness and craziness that makes this city absolutely awesome. I walked EVERYWHERE and melted as I did it, but it has been a fabulous finale to an amazing five month dream come true…but I still think I am dreaming. Am I???

I’m looking forward to speaking with and seeing so many of you — VERY soon!! Safe travels and happy summer, wherever you are! See you soon Mom and Dad (and Dan too! miss you all!)

Tags: , , ,



5 Responses to “From Rome to Home!”

  1. seadragon Says:

    What an accomplishment!! Glad you’ve had such a fantastic trip, but of course, we all can’t wait to have you back here!

  2. Bob Says:

    Hi Kelly,

    Just checking on your progress, and wouldn’t you know it, we were in Roma at the same time… Hope you enjoyed your adventure, and equally hope that you’ll find some Slovenian vino in New York. Zivijo!
    –Bob

  3. Posted from Slovenia Slovenia
  4. Mom&Dad Says:

    Kelly,
    We have enjoyed sharing your adventures through this blog and can’t wait to hear all the details. Mostly we are so excited about seeing you tomorrow night:)

    Love You!

  5. Posted from United States United States
  6. Francesca Says:

    Kel, I have enjoyed sharing your travels and I cannot wait to hear all about your time in Italy. Reading your blog is making me even more excited about my own trip! Hope to see you soon…

  7. Posted from United States United States
  8. Catherine Says:

    BENVENUTA!!!!

  9. Posted from United States United States
  10. Wendy Says:

    Oh my gosh … you must be back now. I can’t believe how fast your trip went by. What an amazing trip you’ve had. Welcome back …. hope you have lots of time to get rested up. You must be exhausted!

  11. Posted from Canada Canada
  12. bone cancer and hospital Says:

    bone cancer and hospital

    Top news about bone cancer and hospital.