BootsnAll Travel Network



Saying Goodbyes

One part of travelling that is somewhat less fun than others is saying goodbyes. To friends, family, and even just to home…

Thus, before leaving, I’ve embarked on a whirlwind tour of southern Ontario to visit all of my relatives that I won’t see for a year or more. I’ve tried to spend lots of time with my friends in Toronto. I’ve had the good fortune to live with my mom and dad and youngest sister again for a few weeks. I’ve taken a trip up to Montreal to say farewell to my friends there. I’ve arranged to go watch my rugby club play one more game (though, as much as I love the sport and the guys I play with, I am NOT going to play in that game, four days before my departure. Doing so would be inviting a torn hamstring or dislocated shoulder or something equally unpleasant.)

In addition to all the people I need to say goodbye to, I also need to say goodbye to Toronto. This city has been home for 24 years, and there are parts of it I’ll miss almost as much as the people I’m leaving here. Here are some of the things I’ve done over the last few weeks to make the parting from home as painless, and the memories of it as sweet as possible (by the way, for anyone reading NOT from Toronto, this, in my mind, is a great list of things to do here in the summer):

-Take a walk from mid to down-town stopping at each of my favourite pubs along the way (the Granite Brewery, the Blue Meany, the Bow and Arrow, the Rebel House, the Cloak and Dagger, C’est What) and enjoying a pint of a wonderful local brew at each.

-Go for a picnic on Toronto Island and a swim in Lake Ontario

-Take a walk along the trails that follow the Don River down to the lake

-Watch a movie at the Bloor Cinema and another at the Harbourfront Outdoor Film Festival

-Go for a walk along the Beltline Trail

-See a concert at the Horseshoe Tavern

-Spend an afternoon shopping for bread, fruits, vegetables, meat, cheese and other good stuff in Kensington Market

-Go for Chinese food at 3:00am (or later) at Kom Jug Yuen

-Spend a late night/early morning at the (in)famous Matador

-Take in CanStage’s Dream in High Park (as well as walking around and having a picnic in the park.)

I’m sure there’s more that I’ve missed, but that’ll do for now anyway.

In addition to all the farewells at home, there are even goodbyes to say after I’ve started travelling. The first three weeks of my trip will be spent visiting good friends who’ve moved on to elsewhere in North America. But they shall be fodder for another entry.

In the meantime, I have to pack, and you folks can enjoy some photos of my friends and family taken during my last few weeks at home. I’ll miss you all, so make sure to keep in touch!

Ian Klein’s baseball game

Playing around with Ian

A visit with the Kleins
Aunt Irene, Uncle Dave, Cousins Andrew (in the frame), Ian and Laura.

Gramma Bardecki

Gramma Goodlett

Kensington Market

Daphne, Susan and I and our picnic before the show at the Dream in High Park

Photo of my last game with the Toronto Dragons RFC.

My sister and brother-in-law Melanie and Ka-Hung came to visit from Kingston, Ontario.

Mom, Dad, sister Christi and I on the night before my departure.

P.S. Apologies to all those who don’t have pictures here… doesn’t mean I won’t miss you, just that I’m dumb and forgot to bring my camera when I was visiting you.)

P.P.S. Against my MUCH better judgement I did end up playing in the rugby game on the 24th. Now that I know I got out of it in one piece, I’m very happy I played.



Tags:

2 Responses to “Saying Goodbyes”

  1. Christi Says:

    Where the heck am I??????? Moose is angry!!!

  2. Posted from Canada Canada
  3. Christi Says:

    Okay, moose not so angry anymore. I am pleased to see that I have made it onto your picture gallery.

  4. Posted from Canada Canada