BootsnAll Travel Network



lil bit of Perth

I woke up on February 2, my 46th day of traveling, with a mission in mind. I was going to Perth! Well, actually, I was going to another suburb of Perth, one I’m sure not too many tourists see, unless they or family members of theirs ride a certain American-made motorcycle. Usually a mission like this in other international cities has proved to be quite an adventure for me, or anyone else I’ve ever sent on this same mission. Every other time, it’s been a hassle, I’ve gotten lost, been given wrong directions, and taken up lots of time (which is something I have an abundance of!). This time, it was too easy, which in itself, was a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping for an adventure! I took the train into Perth and asked at the information desk (since there were no maps that extended to Dianella) how to get there. All I had to do was walk a few blocks and pick up bus number 60. After riding for about 20 minutes, I saw my destination, pressed the button and got off the bus. I made my purchase, went back to the bus stop and headed back to Perth.

Back in Perth, I wandered. What’s great about Perth is that it’s a nice combination of the old and the new. In Sydney, there seemed to be one little area of the old original buildings (or what were made to look like the orginals) and the rest was new. In Perth, Skyscrapers share the same block as the old buildings. There’s a glockenspiel in the middle of their main shopping streets! The temperature was unbearably hot, even for me, so I found the very air conditioned cinema and bought a ticket for 7 Pounds, which was a great movie. I highly recommend it. What I also appreciated about it were the traveling and even Aussie references-the box jellyfish is a very important character in the film.

The next day, today, I went to South Beach. I forgot my sunscreen again, though I did lather up my face before I left the hostel. So yeah, I’m pretty f-ing burnt. I regretfully looked at the beach before I left, knowing that I wouldn’t see it again. I leave for Melbourne tomorrow.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *